Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-18-2007
Junior Skipper

toewsrus is on a distinguished road
Navigation Software

Alright, I got so many great responses on my computer question, here's another:

What nav software are you using? Are you happy with it? Would you buy it again? Or would you get something else?

I have a free version of maptech I downloaded from the NOAA site (or from a link from that site). If anyone is using Maptech Pro, what differences are there from the free version?

Thanks all for your help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The slight variations in spelling and grammar have been added in order to enhance this post's individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Let's Roll
This is the Great Adventure
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'm assuming you're using a PC... from the fact that you're using Maptech.

The most expensive is the Maptech Pro ($499), followed by the Capn Voyager ($449), which is also sold by Maptech. Fugawi Global Navigator ($120) is the most economical of the commercial packages. Seaclear is a free package, but fairly limited in what it can do. I have and use the C-Map commercial product, but thinl that one of the others may be a bit more user friendly.

On the Mac, I've used MacGPS and MacENC, which are both by the same company. The MacENC package is the only one that supports ENC files on the Mac AFAIK.

It would help a lot if you could specify what specific features you're looking for in a navigation software package? Do you want to be able to use NOAA ENC charts? Do you want to be able to see AIS information on the screen? Do you want the software to help with routing??

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-18-2007 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-18-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
The most expensive is the Maptech Pro ($499), followed by the Capn Voyager ($449), which is also sold by Maptech. Fugawi Global Navigator ($120) is the most economical of the commercial packages.
I wish Maptech was the most expensive. I'm looking at possibly getting RayTech RNS since I have all Raymarine equip on my boat... chartplotter, gps, radar, smart heading sensor, ST60+ instruments, etc. It seems to have a lot of good features. It retails for $699. Furuno also makes a series of navigation software. There are various modules available and it can easily go over $1k.

I'm having a hard time comparing Maptech to the Raymarine software. I'm trying to figure out the functional differences in features but they look very similar.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 03-18-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I wasn't thinking of vendor specific software... if you go vendor specific, then there are a few other options...but most of the vendor-specific ones are a good deal more expensive.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-18-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I'm using the Fugawi ENC, which can use the free NOAA charts in either raster or vector format. I also have a copy of SeaClear II which I got with the GPS Mouse I bought for the laptop. USGlobalSat sells a GPS reciever with a USB plug for laptops for under $100 (and can be found even cheaper), that so far has worked great for me.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 03-18-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I have Capn Voyager and I see myself using it more for planning, rather then for navigation. I have a Garmin 498c chartplotter and carry as many papper charts as I can afford.
Old 03-18-2007
Telstar 28

John-

I'd rather have a regular GPS unit, so that if the computer goes south... GPS is still something I can use. A USB GPS mouse isn't all that useful without a computer.

For passage planning I've been playing with Visual Passage Planner... but it's really overkill for most people.

Telstar 28
New England

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-18-2007 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-18-2007

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
I use GPSNavX ($59.95) for Mac and raster charts. The developer is super responsive to queries and suggestions for improvement. The same developer has MacENC ($139) for vector charts. I've used GPSNavX for several years and have found that it has all the features of much more expensive programs. I've used the MacENC demo, but found it slow on my 1.3Ghz G3 Mac.

At the risk of sounding like an advertisement, if you're considering buying a laptop, I recommend a new Mac (with the Intel chipset). Using the Parallels software program (~$70 but free with new purchase from some vendors), you'd be able run all PC and Mac program with a fraction of the trouble of using a Windows PC.
Old 03-18-2007
Telstar 28

Also, the MacBook is a relatively inexpensive computer that gives you a dual-core CPU machine with a lot of integrated features.

Also, BootCamp, which allows you to install Windows XP on the MacBook as a dual boot configuration is free from Apple.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-18-2007

ysabelsdad is on a distinguished road
I use Coastal Explorer from Rose Point Navigation interfaced with an older Garmin GPS. It has worked pretty well for me.

One constraint I had when I bought it was that I was going to be cruising on the west coast of Canada and there is only one source for charts. All US charts can be downloaded for free. The Canadian charts I needed were more expensive than the software.