Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-19-2007

1970Columbia34 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via MSN to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via Yahoo to 1970Columbia34
Chain Stopper or Chain Tensioner?

So we have our Lewmar windlass installed and bow roller, what do people think about a chain stopper vs. the chain tensioner? And can someone explain the use of both and how that work. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
The stopper is a more rugged and foolproof system for insuring the chain does not go "south" with your anchor while at sea. either should be used as a substitute for a nylon "snubber" while at anchor but can serve as a backup to insure no windlass damage if the snubber gets detached.
The tensioner is more useful as a device to eliminate chain rattle on deck.
Old 03-19-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
I think the distinction between them is that a chain stopper is to hold the strain while anchored and the chain tensioner is to tighten it up to prevent rattling while the anchor in stored.

In either case the picture you posted of a stopper doesn’t look substantial enough to use on your boat.
All the best,
Robert Gainer

Edit,
As fast Cam points out some nylon line or rubber snubbers in the system is worthwhile to take the jolt out while at anchor. Boy, you need to get up early in the day to beat Cam to the keyboard.

Last edited by Tartan34C; 03-19-2007 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-19-2007

Send a message via AIM to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via MSN to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via Yahoo to 1970Columbia34
We are using 30' of chain and the rest anchor line. With that do I need either? yeah the picture was just one I grabbed.
Old 03-19-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
Then a chain tensioner would be nice. You can also use a stainless plate with a slot in it. The slot goes over a chain link and you tie the line that is attached to a hole in the plate to your cleat. That also will hold it enough to keep it from rattling.
All the best,
Robert Gainer
Old 03-19-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
We rely on a snubber I fashioned from a 20 ft 5/8" 3-strand nylon dock line. After securing the looped end to a bow cleat, a galv chain hook, which slides freely along this line, is clipped to the chain - after pulling slack to the rode. This setup allows multiple snubber length adjustments while securing the set anchor, eliminates strain on our windlass and also enables me to firmly powerset the bottom tackle without damaging the gypsy or windlass mounts.

To secure our 35# CQR while underway, Nauticat provided a custom fabricated device shown in this cropped photo:

Not very clear, but it consists of a stainless turnbuckle welded to a threaded rod. the bottom is shackled to a deck pad-eye, the top has another specilized shackle which attaches through the anchor's shank eye. Works very well, especially with the otherwise problematic, high bulwarks of the boat.
Old 03-19-2007
Alex, not full of crap

werebeagle will become famous soon enough werebeagle will become famous soon enough
Couldn't you do the same thing with just some small line? Run it through a link and tie off with a slip knot for quick release, then run it to a cleat?

Courtney's my Dancing Angel

Where am I, and where's my paddle?
It's not impossible, it just costs more.
Give me ambiguity, or give me something else.
Old 03-19-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I use a chain stopper, similar to your top photo, but with just a pin. This keeps the chain tight to the anchor, preventing it rubbing on the deck. Underway in heavy seas, I also use a bolt through the bow roller and anchor. At anchor, if only lying to chain, I use a snubber as others have mentioned.
Attached Thumbnails
Chain Stopper or Chain Tensioner?-143961.jpg  

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-19-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The chain stopper is designed to take the some of the load off the windlass, but if you were using an all-chain rode, you really should be using a nylon snubber line—as I don't think a chain stopper is capable of dealing with the loads generated by an anchor rode.

However, I think that 20' is a bit short on the snubber line, since it will probably require you to bring it in and then re-locate the chain hook if you need to let out additional scope for any reason.

The chain tensioner is quite nice for holding an anchor in the roller tightly so that it doesn't rattle, but isn't designed to take much of a load. As a safety measure, I would also secure the anchor to the boat using a piece of 1/4" line or so.

The real use of a chain stopper, the top item pictured in the OP, is when you have to haul up an anchor rode and anchor by hand. It allows you to stop, change your grip on the chain and rest a bit, without having the anchor and rode return to the bottom...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-19-2007

So since we are just using 30' or chain and the rest anchor line we need a cleat to tie the anchorline off to when anchored to hold the loads created by anchoring instead of the windlass correct?

Scott

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.