Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-19-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Exclamation Tool Question

I replaced 1/2 of my galley on my boat. It came out so well, that I started to remove the other size. Here is the problem, the cabinet "face" is fiberglassed into the hull. My plan is to use an angle grinder with a 4 inch cut off wheel. My question is, what kind of cut off wheel ? I can find two types, one for metal and one for masonary. Which do I use or is there an other ?
Thanks,
Paul
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I don't see why either wouldn't work on fiberglass. However, you will want to be careful and take it slowly, so that you don't cause unintended damage to the boat. Power tools are great at making a small job into a big one quickly...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-19-2007

Thanks for the reply. I did have this dream ( nitemare ) last night ...... If I could do it by hand I would. It is in a very tight space and is going to be a royal pain to do. I may even cut it so I leave something behind, to be ground off after I have a little more room to work.
Fair Winds
Old 03-19-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You're far better off leaving something behind and going back for it once the bulk of the material has been removed, than trying to get as close as you can and damaging the hull.

Don't forget to wear eye protection, a dust mask and a bunny suit, unless you like feeling itchy for the next month...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-19-2007 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-19-2007
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
It may not be applicable in this situation, but some interior panels which are glassed in, or tabbed to the hull, serve as structural bulkheads. The naval architect could have intended this construction technique to serve as supplemental reinforcment.
Old 03-19-2007

It may well be a structural bulkhead. Right now it's 1/2 plywood. We will be replacing and fiberglassing back into the hull with 3/4 hardwood plywood that has been epoxied and varnished
Old 03-19-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
If the rig's still in and this part could be a rig-load bearing structure, be sure to slack the rig off while it's being cut out.
Old 03-19-2007

The mast is down, as I am resetting all deck fittings. I will be epoxying the holes redrilling and using sikalex 291 to resetting the fitting. But I do need mother nature to help me out. I frooze my butt off at the boat yesterday.

Paul
Old 03-19-2007

txmatt is on a distinguished road
In cutting out bulkheads with an angle grinder I've found it helpfull to use a thin wheel (no more than 1/8") and to remove the protective cover thing that covers part of the wheel. Just be careful and wear gloves. A good respirator and goggles are critical, not to mention ear protection.

Leaving some material and grinding if off afterwards is wise, so long as you cut enough to get the bulkhead out.
Old 03-19-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Have a supply of wheels on hand because they can clog and dull quickly and don't linger in one spot, because you can really melt the FG quickly.

And a respirator, not just a mask, is a must, as is a full acrylic face mask of the "welder" type over it. You don't want little hot particles in your eye, and if you crack the cut-off wheel doing an overly tight angle, or if you slip, you'll keep your good looks...