Hitchin' a ride
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In my mind, I live in Oslo
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 10
Alden - It might not be anything. On a regular gas engine it usually means you have a leak between the coolant and the oil, like the head gasket. The white smoke will get worse until it smokes all the time. On a diesel engine, you can have a little white puff if the engine has not been run in a long time. Usually a by product of the fuel. Mine does it if I go a month without starting, but if I start it up every couple of weeks or more, no smoke. If it puffs white when its warm, you may have coolant in your oil. Blue smoke is the biggest problem. Here:
The answer is in the smoke.
We can generally understand what is wrong with a diesel engine by the colour of smoke emitted from the exhaust. There are three basic colours - black, white and blue.
This is due to a air to fuel ratio imbalance, either the fuel system is delivering too much fuel into the engine or there is not enough clean air (oxygen ) a few things to look for :
* Faulty injectors (injectors need attention at about 100.000 to 120 000 miles)
* Faulty injector pump
* Dirty air cleaner
* Turbocharger or intercooler faulty
* Problems within cylinder head, valves clogged up due to faulty EGR (exhaust gas recycling unit)
Normally means that the fuel injected into the cylinder is not burning correctly. The smoke will burn your eyes.
* Engine/pump timing out
* Fuel starvation to the pump causing the pumps timing not to operate correctly
* Low engine compression
* Water/petrol in the fuel
The engine is burning engine oil
* Worn cylinders or piston rings
* Faulty valves or valve stem seals
* Engine over full with engine oil
* Faulty injector pump/lift pump allowing engine oil to be mixed with the diesel
Alden- if you can, start it every day and see if the problem goes away, and restart it after it is warm and check for smoke.
also, you can take a sample of the oil in to have it checked.
Great men always have too much sail up. - Christopher Buckley
Vaya con Dios
Last edited by bestfriend; 03-23-2007 at 11:47 PM.