Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-24-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Sanding off paint in tight spaces

I am in the process of mounting my new Raymarine S-1 tillerpilot. The PO apparently had a similar unit as the socket in the coaming is the same, but leaves the ram a bit off level. That has been addressed by removing the old brass socket, brazing the new one to it, and drilling out the ends. A little epoxy and I have a longer socket with the end cap inside at the proper height.

Raymarine wants the socket supported by 1" of coaming, if less thicken with a block of wood. I have 3/4" but figured I'd strengthen it anyway. The trouble is that, from the interior, the hollow of the coaming is quite tight. It tapers from about 3 inches down to about an 1-1/4" and is about 6-8 inches deep. Now I know my wife's hand would sort of fit up in there, and after about 4 hours of work she'd probably have the paint off so I could epoxy my backing block to the raw, roughed up fiberglas. The short version, for the un-married, is that this is not a viable option. I can't get enough of my meat-hook up in there to do much good with the sanding block, but have hit on a solution. Thank goodness the Home Depot is open late.

I bought a wire brush similar to a cup brush, which would be too wide. This wire brush looks similar to a shaving mug brush. I also picked up a drill bit extension as the one I had was too short. A drill bit extension is designed to hold speed bore drill bits and comes in varying lengths. Electricians use them commonly for drilling holes through material they can't get at with just a drill and bit. They have two set screws in a socket end designed to fit the standard shank of a speed bit. The wire 'cup' brush fits in perfectly. I'm still laying on my back, with my arms extended over my head, and the drill bounces all over the place, but significant progress is now being made. I haven't measured but the extension appears that you could secure up to about a 1/4" bit in it. Hope this helps somebody else.
Old 03-24-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Assuming the socket is screwed or bolted to the coaming, why couldn't you just use the thickening block like a backing plate? I'm not an engineer, but it seems like that would tighten it up to the coaming as well as epoxying it there. Of course, I could just be missing something simple here.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
John-

I believe that is what his plan is, but he wants to epoxy the thickening block into place against the backside of the coaming where his big paws can't reach...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook