Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-28-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Hey Freesail, Faster and Sabreman, whats the verdict? Curious to know how it turned out.
Best

Vaya con Dios
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I had posted in another post on How I really messed up. I assumed that my bulkheads were real wood or veneer. Wrong ...... I lightly sanded the surface to touch it up, before I was going to varnish. I removed the wood "finish". It was a laminate.
There are a lot of compound angles and I thought I be buying many, many teak plwood sheets. So I decided to go with "bellawood" pre-finished flooring on the bulkhead walls. What I am using can be found here.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-28-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Oh, right. Sorry to add salt to the wound.

Vaya con Dios
Old 05-22-2007

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Sorry for replying so late.....I just did a check of old posts.....

The floor came out great. Sanded with 220 grit (changing the paper often), vacuumed up everything, waited an hour to let the dust settle, shut the deck hatches, and tacked the floor in stages as I applied the finish, workingmyself back to the companionway. I'm going to stick with Helmsman's because it's easy to use, readily available, and inexpensive. It's also not a slick as I may have indicated in an earlier post. On my 28, we had curved flooring and we slipped easily. On the 38, everything is flat and I don't notice any slipperiness. We had the boat on a 25 degree heel on Sunday and we walked around with no problems.

I think that regardless of the finish, everything will be slippery if wet (except the nonskid that they use in the Navy - that stuff takes off skin!)
Old 05-22-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Three thumbs up for Ultimate sole.... It goes on easily and dries hard and glossy. Be careful to lay it on wet - a dry brush will leave visible streaks. (Foam brush mandatory - I couldn't find the "expensive" ones they recommend, so used the ordinary ones with success.)

So - I thought, what's wrong with a durable non slippery surface on the salon table? Used US on that too... looks great but it's tough to wipe with a wet cloth - the cloth doesn't want to slide! So I guess the nonskid properties hold true.

Worth the cost, even across the line (ended up close to $100CDN after duties, taxes and shipping!) and it looks like it goes a long way. Used about a 1/3 quart can for two coats on a 35 footer.
Old 05-22-2007
Hitchin' a ride

Thanks for the updates guys.

Vaya con Dios
Old 11-20-2007

Northeaster is on a distinguished road
Sorry to revive an older post, but, I will be buying a 4x8 sheet of teak and holly, to put down for the cabin sole this winter. Does it come prefinished, or will I have to use something like, Ultimate sole, or Helmsman.. mentioned above? I want to make sure it looks great, and lasts!!
Old 11-20-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The plywood you buy for that purpose is unfinished... you will have to apply a finish of your choice or watch it quickly deteriorate. Bummer considering what they charge for those sheets.

As noted above, Ultimate Sole finish seems to be one of the best for high gloss and nonslip properties.
Old 11-20-2007
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
And be sure to seal the sides (Endgrain, if it were "real" wood)!! That stuff sucks up moisture like a straw, and will destroy it faster than a run away belt sander!
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 11-20-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Well, considering that you generally have to cut it to size, having it pre-finished would kind of be a pain...since you'd still have to finish the cut edges... by leaving it unfinished, you can at least know that the finish is compatible all around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.