Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-26-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Thumbs up Wood Interior Cabin

I am planning on "touching up" the interior wood on my boat. Maybe a little more then touch up ....
The wood is African mahogany. There are no water stains, but there are holes and scratches that I would like to fill in and repair. I plan on light sanding off the varnish and filling in the holes. What should I use to fill in the holes and scratches ?
A friend also suggested that instead of varnish I use a product called gymcoat, which is used on gym floors. He said he had used it on his boat and it looks great and has held up very well, as it has been 3 years since he applied it. So, I am asking how should I proceed and what should I use ?
Fariwinds
Paul
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2007

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
It requires a bit of elbow grease and time, but is not that difficult to do. My suggestions based on experience woodworking and with my 2 Sabres are:
1. Sand lightly with no coarser than 120 grit.
2. Make sur that you don't sand through any plywood (e.g., bulkheads).
3. For dirty areas, use acetone and a 3M green abrasive pad. It will remove the dirt and won't clog. They can be found at Lowes in the Paint section and look like a pot scrubby.
4. To fill deep holes, mix some mahagony dust (from a sander) with 5 minute epoxy. It will stay put and will match the surrounding area. Test in an inconspicuous area first. For light scratches, either do nothing because the finish will "erase" the scratch or snad until the scratch dissapears. Be careful of sanding through veneer though! For a test, wipe the area with a cloth dampened with paint thinner - it's an approximation of what urethane will look like
5. No real need to sand off the varnish unless it's discolored or peeling. Just sand lightly to remove the sheen and/or dirt/grease.
6. You can use any wiping urethane such as Formby's or Minwax. If you want a real deep finish, Minwax has a number of nice sheens and is readily available. No need for a "marine" varnish since it's interior. However if you're going for a deep finish (e.g., a table) try Minwax Helmsman's Varnish. It's really a urethane but is more flexible than a standard "varnish".
7. For floors, you can use Minwax Helmsman's Varnish. I've had good results with it. After about 3 years, you may need a new coat if it become scratched. But that will happen with any finish.

Good luck! It's worth it.
Old 03-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
For floors, I'd recommend Ultimate Sole...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-26-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
My floors are also African mahogany, thanks for the tip
Old 03-26-2007

Sailingdog - I have a previously finished teak & holly sole. I understand that Ultmate Sole can not be used on a previously finished surface. Do you know if this is true and why? I'd hate to mess up a really nice floor. I've had really good results with MinWax Helmsman....
Old 03-27-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Check out this link:
http://www.ultimatesole.com/index.asp?ID=10

It contains instructions for applying Ultimate Sole and includes a section on re-doing previously finished cabin soles....

I've ordered some this week and plan to try it out soon.
Old 03-27-2007

Let us know. It sounds like a great product, but when it comes to finished, I'm REAL conservative.

There is an old story that Leonardo DaVinci painted a fresco with a new technique. The story goes that it was a masterpiece but began to fade almost immediately. I think that it was Giorgio Vasari that tried to fix it but was unsuccessful. I'm off topic, but the my point is that I have a really nice cabin sole and would hate to mess it up by applying it incorrectly. Thanks for the link.
Old 03-27-2007

Just read the Ultimate Sole application instructions. Pretty simple and the same as I would do (except for the wet sand part) for any other finish. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
All the boats I've seen that have wooden cabin soles have used it with no complaints thus far. From what I've seen, unlike some other finishes, it doesn't get really slick and slippery when wet.... so your "crack your skull open" quotient goes down a bit. This isn't to say that you can't manage to slip on the stuff... but some of the other finishes turn to an almost ice-like frictionless surface.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-27-2007

Amen! The Helmsman's varnish is really slick if you try to walk around in socks.....fun for kids though! Thanks for the tip.