Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-28-2007
Junior Skipper

toewsrus is on a distinguished road
Has anyone used, owned or heard of Apex Ribs?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The slight variations in spelling and grammar have been added in order to enhance this post's individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Let's Roll
This is the Great Adventure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2007

hamiam is on a distinguished road
303 aerospace is an excellent uv inhibitor. do not under any circumstances use armor all as it can act as a solvent on the seams.
Old 03-29-2007

nicholaspalmer is on a distinguished road
why dinhy choose a dinghy?
Old 03-29-2007

nicholaspalmer is on a distinguished road
sorry G.I , couldn't help it.
Old 03-29-2007

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road
I guess it depends much on your intended cruising grounds. I use a hard skiff, a Sumner 9-footer. Much of my cruising is in Maine where the barnacle incrusted rocky coast would rip a “blow-up-doll” apart in no time! She’s stable in rough water and handles herself well in the breakers of a lee beach. Incidentally, she was the only hard skiff to meet the CG requirements of a life raft! She rows well and handles a duce-and-a-half nicely when I don’t want to row that far. I’ve given her hard use, gunk-holing for 12 years now and she’s still going strong. I doubt many inflatables can beat that for value!

But if you’ve got to keep up to the stuffed polo shirts with the cargo shorts, docksiders and baseball caps with the perfect curves at the yacht club, then an inflatable may be for you. I can’t give you much advice on them as I don’t have much experience with them. What I do have wasn’t very good. They hold a lot of weight yea, but they aren’t very stable and don’t row very well. Because of their light weight, it seems the wind and seas tend to knock them around quite a bit.

Many companies in Maine make beautiful hard skiffs that can turn eyes at any marina! As for length, I think that no more then 1/3 the towing sailboat’s length is fine. Any more and its weight and drag become an issue to the mother-boat’s handling and performance.

PoCA
Old 03-29-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
What do you do with your skiff when the seas build? In my cruising grounds I can not take the chance of towing a dinghy at all times. When conditions warrent, it has to come abord the mothership at some time or another. For me, that is the appeal of the Inflatables, easily stowed with out the use of davits.
Old 03-30-2007

hamiam is on a distinguished road
You can bring the bow of the dinghy right to the stern of the boat if conditions warrant. We have done this on occasion but mainly due to tight quarters and not the weather. We use two lines crossed to the bow eyes of the dinghy and led to cleats on either aft corner of the boat. With a little practice and patience you can get the dinghy to behave well. Typically 1-2 wave lenghts behind on the main boat in the same part of the wave (ie if the main boat is cresting so shud the dinghy) and you can adjust it so the dinghy slides down to the leeward side where she is often offered some protection by the main boat.
Old 03-30-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
I don't know bout that, we cruise in waters where at any time you can expect to see 6 - 8 footers: very steep and close together. It can go from flat to nasty in no time at all. You can set the hook on Friday night and wake up Saturday to completly different conditions. Don't think any arrangement would be sufficient for towing. For us, in our grounds, we need to be able to somehow stow the dink on the bow or deflate and put in a carry bag somewhere on board.
Old 03-30-2007

bsfree is on a distinguished road
I had a 8'6" portabote, loved it. But it wasn't perfect. The plastic seats got real hot in the sun, you had to get used to the bottom "giving" when you stepped into it, and you had to sit in the middle or it would dip down one way or the the other. Also, I had to bail out the water after a rainfall. Had a honda 2hp on it and had a lot of fun. Now I have "new" mothership and will again be in the market for a dinghy, had already decided to go inflatable this time, but after reading this thread I'm not so sure anymore. Thing about the portabote was how tough it was, certainly no air leak problems. I never folded her up, either left her at the slip or towed her. Whatever I/you get, the only thing for sure is it will be a compromise in some way, but then so is life.
Good luck
Old 03-30-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Toewsrus...yes I have hear of Apex and seen cruisers with their Ribs. They don't have much of a name here in the States but are much more common in the Caribe which may be beause they are made in Costa Rica. They are well regarded and a quality constructed boat. I would not hesitate to buy one if you are looking for a good Rib...I presently own a Caribe that I am quite happy with and which I like better than my Avon/West model which I had previously.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.