Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-27-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
I need some of those, and the rope lights too... I want to be just this side of gaudy, just that side of trailerdom.

It might also have the added benefit of repelling unwanted potential overnight guests.

all kidding aside, I really think they're a good idea.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
They do have new LED-based rope lights that would work pretty well, and wouldn't require as much electricity as the older traditional style rope lights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-27-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
CD-
A compromise might be to install the reflective stanchion wrappers on the base of your stanchions, or to just buy some ScotchLite tape and run that around the hull, either just below the deck or perhaps replacing the boot stripe as well.
The stuff is surprisingly visible even with "no" light.

SD-
If you don't mind looking like a mexican cantina...I suppose the "glow strips" electroluminescent wires are even more effective than strings of LED lights. Something about making anchorages look like the wrong side of town though. I think I'd just prefer to tuck into the most sheltered corner I could find, and then lay defensive mines.
Old 03-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Now, the question is, do you warn the powerboaters about the mine or just let them start blowing up.....

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-27-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
My Evil Twin Brother says to replace the mine horns with beer taps and put up a big neon sign that says "FREE BEER HERE!! SELF SERVICE!".
Old 03-27-2007

soul searcher is on a distinguished road
Just how many bugs will fit in your boat CD I think I'd want that light up the mast. Or maybe you can get yellow colored bulbs.

Matt

All boats are sinking it's just a matter of how fast.
Old 03-27-2007

Bump is on a distinguished road
Night Lights

I bought a Davis Mega Light last season and love it. Very low draw on the batteries, burns bright and you can hang it about anywhere. Use it to light up the cockpit at night for socializing or reading and leave it on all night. It has a solar switch so it turns on by itself if I am away from the boat and goes off at daybreak. Great light.
Old 03-27-2007

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
I'd second the Davis 'Mega Light' solution placed somewhere to show off some deck but not keep you awake. Having part of the cockpit lit up may be good for anchor checks any way. They give off a lot of light for a reasonable amount of amperage. Unfortunately I also second the price is absurd.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 03-27-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Well,

It looks like those nasty looking things are the smartest thing to do... not the best looking!!! I doubt they are nearly as bright as they advertise them to be (especially late at night). I would also be concerned about the getting caught up in a jib sheet. But I might give them a try. Just depends on how unsafe I feel that night.

For those of you that anchor in a designated anchorage (or always plan to) not a problem. For the rest who prefer it a little further away, I guarantee you that getting hit in the middle of the night will be on your mind... along with: the weather coming in, the anchor dragging, that strange scheeching noise you have not heard before, the bilge pump suddenly kicking on, that shrimp or fish tapping on the hull, the halyard rapping on the mast that you forgot to lash elsewhere, did you put water in the batts?, did you leave the beer on the dock?, are the kids too cold...... well, you get the pictrure. But no, really, you always get a good night sleep on the hook. Really.

Smile.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-27-2007
Telstar 28

CD—

Getting a set of these might be cheaper overall and you'd get more lights. Figuring out how to mount them would take a bit of creativity, but hose clamps or cable ties and stanchions come to mind...

http://tinyurl.com/3yf9tb

Telstar 28
New England