Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-27-2007

wumhenry is on a distinguished road
reassembling Lewmar ST40: stumped!

Last weekend I partially dissassembled a Lewmar ST-40 2-speed winch for annual maintenance. Never having done this before, I was awed by the internal complexity of the thing and decided I'd better put it back together because there wasn't enough time left to finish the job before dark.

I was stymied when I tried to replace the feeder arm. The goldang collets, which fit into grooves in the spindle, stuck out too far, so I couldn't seat the feeder arm. Turning them upside down and swapping their positions didn't solve the problem. I finally removed the collets and replaced the feeder arm and end cap sans collets to keep the rain out till I figure out how to solve this problem.

Can anyone here help me with this?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by wumhenry
The goldang collets, which fit into grooves in the spindle, stuck out too far, so I couldn't seat the feeder arm. Turning them upside down and swapping their positions didn't solve the problem. I finally removed the collets and replaced the feeder arm and end cap sans collets to keep the rain out till I figure out how to solve this problem.

Can anyone here help me with this?
Sure...if you look inside the slot where they go, you can see that inside the slot there is another slot...it goes there..try rotating the winch a little, its a litle difficult sometimes, but you have to find the slot.

Use a little grease to keep them in place while you do.

GO HERE open PDF file its all there!!! Look up in fitting winch and service manual...You'll understand what I mean with the slots.

Hope it helps

Last edited by Giulietta; 03-27-2007 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-27-2007

wumhenry is on a distinguished road
Thanks, Giulietta, I'll go out there and give it another try.

I didn't see a link to the service manual in the website, though.
Old 03-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Be careful what you grease... some parts, like the pawls really shouldn't be greased at all...but should have a light machine oil used on them, as they need to move as freely as possible. I haven't taken a winch apart in a while, so I don't remember if the collets are supposed to be greased or oiled...

wumhenry- Try this link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-27-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Its there, where I told you..but SD shows it easier..

Thanks SD. Those 2 parts you can grease just to keep them in place.
Old 03-27-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Try http://en.lewmar.com/support/index.aspx?link=4 that's the Lewmar key page for CAD drawings. They have drawings of most/all of their winches, sorted by series.
Old 03-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
HS-

Unfortunately, you'd need a program capable of opening an AutoCAD drawing file, which most people don't have, to use the files on that page.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-27-2007

He has all he needs on the links I gave him....
Old 03-27-2007
Telstar 28

wumhenry-

BTW, the service manual for the winches is on the page that Giulietta linked to. It is directly under the heading of

Winches

and is labeled:

How To Service Your Ocean Winch

His post was pretty dead on... you just need to read the page a bit more closely.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-27-2007

Duhhhhhhh