SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Internet & Email Services In The Mediterranean

943 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
Here in Australia we use a CDMA/3G device plugged in to our laptop computer to give us access to the internet and to our emails. Is there a similar device/service available in the Mediterranean area? If so does it operate in all countries without having to use (expensive) global roaming, or do we need to have a service provider in each country? What does it cost?

If we can't find anything like our Aussie service we will need to use of Iridium Sat Phone for email and go without internet access.

Any advice would be appreciated. Please email replies to graeme(AT)sv-sirocco.com - replace (AT) with @ symbol.

Graeme

#2 ·
Unfortunately, CDMA isn't really all that well supported in the EU IIRC. What you'll probably want to get is a GSM-based BlueTooth-capable phone and use BlueTooth to connect it to your laptop. Unless you get a SIM card for each country, you will end up roaming... and that will get pretty expensive. However, I don't know if the European cellular providers have flat-rate internet access plans like they do here in the USA.

#3 ·
I've read on the website of greek mobile operator that he offer a pre-paid internet access. So if your PCMCI card support GPRS/EDGE it will be suitable. So you need to buy in Greece starter pack with SIM card only (and to charge account from time to time). Make sure of your PCMCI modem has not SIMLOCK (that other operator SIM card will be work properly)

Unfortunatelly I'm forgot the name of the operator :| but part of his website was in english so you sure find it via google.

best regards,

:: Marcin Jablonski

#4 ·
Actually, if you have a BlueTooth equipped laptop, you can use it with a BlueTooth equiped cell phone, instead of a PCMCIA modem card, and get the added benefit that you can use the phone for making phone calls.

Getting an unlocked phone is not all that difficult. I've used my PowerBook with both SonyEriccsson and Samsung BT-equipped phones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.