Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-01-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
But Cam... the tooth fairy always leaves my nephews a dollar coin...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2007

Guesser is on a distinguished road
Well the tooth fairy didn't come last night...so I guess I'll change my oil today.
Old 04-01-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Here's food for your thoughts...

what if....the engine is really old, and ran many years with the RPM counter disconnected or in failure, so hours were never counted???

what if...what if...
Old 04-01-2007

zaldog is on a distinguished road
Did not think I would spur such a livley debate. I am asking the broker to get me any and all maintenance records and a verbal from the current owner regarding his maintenance schedual. From what I was told the hour meter is working, but then again it could not be. I hope the tooth fairy get's involved if he only did change the oil 5 times in the last 20 years. :-)
Old 04-01-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sorry, I hear the tooth fairy said she doesn't do diesel engines... prefers solar power...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-23-2007

geedunk is on a distinguished road
You old schoolers R on track--low hrs. etc.--key word is "maintenance" time vrs. yrs---50 hrs in 5 yrs---great---but time deteriorates synthetics--as in oils--polymers--sealants, etc. I highly suggest an oil sample X 2 (pwr head/tranny---and fuel sample at various points in the system, as part of any survey. Annual maint. regardless of hrs. run= longevity.Hope this helped.
Old 04-23-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
My understanding is that engine oil analysis is a waste of money unless you are doing it as a normal maintenance procedure to monitor changes in composition from one test to another over time. Any diesel guys wanna confirm or refute this?
Old 04-23-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
When I asked about an engine oil analysis they wanted 3, 1 at 1hr ,1 at 5h and 1 at 10hrs. TOOOOOOO expensive, if it works leave it alone, other than a new filter and good oil every six months.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 04-23-2007

geedunk is on a distinguished road
Sorry guys, simple "sample" not Anal-ysis, as yes ,I concurr, a real analysis is not worth the reaming! Unless one is really deep into the scientific approach.
Old 10-01-2013

Froggy is on a distinguished road
Re: Low hours on Yanmar 2QM20

Spend the bucks!
My oil analyisis cost about $45 for both the engine and transmission. I don't think that that is a lot of money to put up against major repairs that you might find. And it can be a bargaining chip on price if not all is up to snuff and you still want the boat.
My engine is good for the hours, tranny needs to be monitored so another test in 20 hours on new oil. I sleep better now!