Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-31-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Travelers

My travelers leak very bad. I am going to be rebedding all my deck fittings. I also plan on filling all the holes with epoxy and re drilling them out. But a friend who helps me work on my boat made a suggestion and I am asking what you think. He suggested in doing all that you would nomally do to rebed the deck fittings but going one step futher. He said, why not use a rubber membraine ? Like a ice & water shield used on a roof. Any thoughts ?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2007

sevseasail is on a distinguished road
I always thought it was a good idea. I can't wait to see what the experts have to say on the subject.
Old 03-31-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99
My travelers leak very bad. I am going to be rebedding all my deck fittings. I also plan on filling all the holes with epoxy and re drilling them out.
Before you fill the old holes you should drill them out to a larger size. Then fill with thickened epoxy and redrill the original size. This way you get a solid epoxy bushing around the fastener, reducing the chances of any moisture into the core.

As far as the membrane/gasket idea, it's not usually done, uses more sealant because you have two mating surface areas now, but probably won't hurt. Not sure you'd gain much, though.
Old 03-31-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I had planned on opening up the holes a bit, using the alan key trick on a drill. As far as the membraine is concerned water is coming in from somewhere. Water can't pass thur the rubber. The PO clauked everywhere, I guess trying to stop the water.
Old 03-31-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you've properly potted the holes, then the water coming in is a nuisance, but not a major threat...

One thing that can help to really keep the holes from leaking is after you've potted them and let the thickened epoxy dry, and drilled the holes for the fasteners...go back over then holes with a countersink bit, and use it to chamfer the edges of the hole on all of them.

Then, when you add the sealant, it will have a space to form an o-ring seal of sorts and that can help make the seal much better, even if you snugged the traveler track down so hard that it has squeezed out most of the sealant, a bit will remain in the countersunk areas...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-01-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
ooh, good trick saildog, thanks!
Old 04-01-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Anytime tenuki...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-01-2007

Guesser is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
If you've properly potted the holes, then the water coming in is a nuisance, but not a major threat...

One thing that can help to really keep the holes from leaking is after you've potted them and let the thickened epoxy dry, and drilled the holes for the fasteners...go back over then holes with a countersink bit, and use it to chamfer the edges of the hole on all of them.

Then, when you add the sealant, it will have a space to form an o-ring seal of sorts and that can help make the seal much better, even if you snugged the traveler track down so hard that it has squeezed out most of the sealant, a bit will remain in the countersunk areas...

I like that countersink trick a lot.
Old 04-01-2007
Telstar 28

Unfortunately, I can't take credit for it... a friend of mine showed that trick to me when I was working as grunt labor on a toerail, cockpit coaming, and handrail re-fit on her father's boat... He's been sailing since Noah was around I think...

Telstar 28
New England