Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-01-2007

Haguesail is on a distinguished road
Autohelm 3000 Motor Questions

I managed to find a reasonable working replacement motor unit for my Autohelm 3000 in Ebay, but it is missing the plastic mounting/tensioning um, thingy. The thingy for my old unit is for a hole on the motor bracket around 1 1/4". while the mounting hole on the replacement motor bracket is a bit under an inch. Any suggestions where to find a new thingy, or kluge something with spacers and a big wingnut? Second question is wiring. Old unit has four wires on the cable between the motor and head unit (Red, Blue, Yellow, Green), new motor unit has two wires (Brown and Blue). Do I connect blues and red-brown, or are the yellow and green also control wires?

Thanks, Chris in Monnickendam, NL
'88 Colvic Countess 33
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2007

DeepFrz is an unknown quantity at this point
Sure, but make sure the thingy matches the do-dad and whatchamacallit.
Old 04-01-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Haguesail-

If the new motor only has two wires, and the old unit had four... it is very likely that the motor you have isn't going to work... as it sounds like you've got two different parts on your hands.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-15-2007

chs1517 is on a distinguished road
Chris,

Regarding the tentioning thingy. West Marine still sells the tensioning handle. I bought an extra one for my boat a few months ago. The black plastic unit sell for aroung $10.88. Check out the following email site ( AUTOHELM 3000 - Froogle)

Secondly, I have had similar problems with my autohelm 3000. I purchased a remote that had four pins and my control unit has five.

The motor you purchased will most likely not work with the control unit you have. My unit has the two wires, brown/blue. I know for a fact as I have had to do some tightening of loose connections. I also found out what happens when you reverse the two wires. The motor works but 180 degrees opposite of where you want to go. It made for a quick U-turn on the water. I am not sure you can work around the other two wires. I tried to find a wiring diagram for the autohelm but was unsuccessful.

I know you can still get the working directions for the unit at Raymarine. It does not have any info on plug pins or two vs. four wires for the motor.

I was able to find a guy that had the four pin remote and have made arrangements to trade his five pin for my four pin. He sounded like he knew what he was talking about and said you have to understand it is a British thing? Don't try to figure it out?

Anyway, you probably have a motor that will not work with you control unit. You now have to find a new control unit. Happy hunting...

If you want I have the guys email. He has access to autohelm stuff. If you are interested I can send you his email address.

Chris S.