SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Major Oil leak (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/31024-major-oil-leak.html)

SaltyGirl 04-02-2007 05:11 PM

Major Oil leak

This major oil leak has happened twice with my Yanmar 4JH-HTE (6500 hrs) and I'm trying to determine the source of the problem. We purchased the boat in October and motored many hours before this problem started.

In October the boatyard changed the oil, including a new Yanmar oil filter. Following that service, within minutes of running the engine, the oil was all over the engine compartment, with none left in the engine. The filter was still attached, and nothing looked wrong, but the problem was identified as a defective Yanmar filter, specifically with the 0-ring. The filter was replaced, and we have had no additional problems until now. Obviously, during the winter months very few hours were put on the engine. However, we had taken several weekend trips without a problem.

The boat is back at the boatyard for the pre-season maintenance, and while running the engine at the dock, the same thing happened again. I am really concerned that the problem needs to be appropriately identified so that permanent engine problems aren't created.

Has anyone experienced this problem or have some suggestions?

sailingdog 04-02-2007 05:23 PM

Is this the same boatyard that had the problem previously?? Is it possible that they stripped or damaged the threads that hold the filter on? If the filter isn't going on perfectly straight, it will not seat properly and oil will leak under pressure of the engine operating.

camaraderie 04-02-2007 05:58 PM

Assuming the oil is coming from the filter again...it likely simply backed off the screw on fitting which can happen and is a mess when it does!
Suggest you double check your filter number again:
Yanmar part number 129150-35152 replacement Oil Filter. Old part numbers: 129150-35150 and 129150-35151.

Other than that...just reinstall a new one, lubricate the rubber gasket then screw it on by hand pretty tight but not as tight as you could make it. If this continues to happen I would suspect some deformation in the engine seat for the filter and you might be better off getting a remote oil filter ket for the engine from your Yanmar Dealer (check mackboring.com). good luck.

poopdeckpappy 04-02-2007 06:19 PM

Make sure the old O-ring seal was removed prior to the new seal and filter being installed, this sounds way to familiar

Valiente 04-02-2007 06:30 PM

Good point with the O-ring "left behind". It's a stupid thing but is easy to miss: the old filter's ring stays in the groove and the new filter doesn't screw on tightly. It'll work until the oil is pressurized, then....splat!

Get into the habit of running a pinky finger in that groove to confirm it's empty, or just eyeball the old filter. A smear of lithium/white grease on the new O-ring helps to make the seal, and I usually tighten it a quarter-turn past "hand" tight with a filter wrench. Lastly, you could take a wrap of oil-proof thread tape if there's not too much damage.

sailingdog 04-02-2007 06:59 PM

Poopdeckpappy-

I take it that this is the voice of experience speaking... Hadn't even thought of that...

poopdeckpappy 04-02-2007 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog
Poopdeckpappy-

I take it that this is the voice of experience speaking... Hadn't even thought of that...

Yes and I have seen & heard this many times, happens more often then not with motors that see less than routine maintanence

And by routine I don't mean just by hours, but also routine by time lapsed

sailingdog 04-02-2007 08:02 PM

That makes sense... the less frequent the maintenance, the more likely the o-ring is to stick in place.. :D

Faster 04-02-2007 08:49 PM

I'm not familiar with the Yanmars, and indeed the problem was likely the filter o-ring.

But here's another thought... Were you motor sailing prior to these incidents? I know that some Bukh diesels will pump their entire oil reservoir into the bilge if they are run at too great a heeling angle..... Given the time between leaks could there be a correlation there??

sailingdog 04-02-2007 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster
I'm not familiar with the Yanmars, and indeed the problem was likely the filter o-ring.

But here's another thought... Were you motor sailing prior to these incidents? I know that some Bukh diesels will pump their entire oil reservoir into the bilge if they are run at too great a heeling angle..... Given the time between leaks could there be a correlation there??

Faster-

I doubt this is the problem, as the boat was at the dock the second time... :D Also, sounds like they hadn't even made it out of the marina the first time around.