Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-02-2007

smartselos is on a distinguished road
Faucet Hand Pumps

Hi all,

Anyone has any recommendations regarding faucet hand pumps? I want to install one in the head to drain the water after someone uses the shower.

How easy are they to install and use? I checked the details on the product and it takes 58 strokes to pump one gallon. I'm not sure that's very practical to use.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Spiros
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You'd be better off using a diaphragm-type bilge pump, like a Whale Gusher. Major advantages, it moves a lot more water, it can run dry without many issues, and it will pass some debris and small objects, which most of the sink type faucet pumps will not. They also make foot pumps for galley sinks that are smaller diaphragm pumps that would also work quite well.. They're even better in some ways, even though they have smaller capacity, since you don't have to touch them with your hands... you could, in theory, be pumping the shower sump while showering...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-02-2007

gc1111 is on a distinguished road
There is a difference between pumps designed to pump the water in and those designed to pump the water out! Faucet pumps are low volume pumps.
Old 04-02-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
... you could, in theory, be pumping the shower sump while showering...
SD, could you do us all the favour of producing a video clip demonstrating that skill?? On second thought, never mind
Old 04-02-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster
SD, could you do us all the favour of producing a video clip demonstrating that skill?? On second thought, never mind
LOL... but you know you want to see that video...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-03-2007

Thank you for your responses. There are a couple of options I'm considering; the whale Gusher is one of them.

Thanks again

Spiros
Old 04-03-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
I assume the head's sole doesn't allow access for installing a proper drain and drain hose leading to a bilge located shower sump?
Old 04-04-2007
Not quite Senior Member

Waymar83 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Waymar83
Quote:
Hi all,

Anyone has any recommendations regarding faucet hand pumps? I want to install one in the head to drain the water after someone uses the shower.

How easy are they to install and use? I checked the details on the product and it takes 58 strokes to pump one gallon. I'm not sure that's very practical to use.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Spiros
You may want to look for an earlier thread (do some searching using the search engine). I will also have to organise the shower. I recall an earlier discussion which I found quite useful (including suggestions as to which pumps, the set up and where to pump). Sorry I don't have time to look now (gotta go to work).

One thing I do remember about the discussion was a recommendation to avoid pumping into the bilge as you will increase your "flora and fauna".

good luck.

Waymar - Jeanneau, Attalia
Old 04-04-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Spiros,
For less than $100, you can install an automatic shower sump pump. Our two ensuite heads each have showers with floor strainers which drained into the bilge - relying upon the float switch activated bilge pump to discharge overboard. Since we frequently shower while at the marina, and there is always some oil residue in the bilge, this setup had to change, due to strict environmental regulations.

My solution was to connect the shower drain hoses to a self-contained shower sump unit. The enclosed plastic compartment contains a pump which is activated whenever the rising liquid triggers the float switch, discharging out an above waterline through-hull.

This was fairly easy to install within the bilge area, since drains and an available through-hull already exist on our boat. The multi-ports of the unit enables connection of two drain hoses to the inlet fittings.

It seems your head may not have a drain, therefore a bit more work is involved - but certainly more civilized than hand-pumping grey water into a bucket after each shower.

Last edited by TrueBlue; 04-04-2007 at 07:29 AM.
Old 04-10-2007

Thank you all for your responses!

I just wanted to ask this follow up question because I just purchased a shower sump pump and I am getting ready to connect it.

I found a great spot to install right across the fresh water pressure pump in a small compartment type area next to the mast.

Do you think it's a good idea to splice the power of the fresh water pump power cable? It will save me a lot of time from running a new home run from the breaker panel. The circuit breaker that is on is 15 amps while the fresh water pump is 7 and the sump pump is 5 amps. The chance that both will run at the same time is next to none. What are the chances of a short? Does anyone have any experience doing that?

Spiros