Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-04-2007

mathislaw1 is on a distinguished road
Automotive Diesel

I know this is probably a stupid question, but is it safe to use automotive diesel in a marine engine?

I don't have a diesel gas pump near my boat slip, so I thought it would be just as easy to buy a couple of 5 gallon diesel cans and fill up my boat everytime I visit, instead of motoring 4 miles everytime I need gas.

I have a Yanmar if that makes a difference.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2007
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Safe - Yes
Expensive - also yes! - although in the US, you will be paying for the highway taxes (about $0.75/gallon) that Marine diesel is exempt from.

I beleive that you can also use home heating oil (although this is probably illegal).

Ed
Old 04-04-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
We used to be able to buy "red" diesel fuel for pleasure craft legally - i.e. heating fuel . But no more. From Jan this year it's "white" diesel or else. I hate paying road tax on a vehicle that is not used on the roads.
Old 04-04-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
depending on your local, you may be able to get rebates from the "parks" or "wildlife" department in your state Fuel Tax Refund Information

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 04-04-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
But if you don't pay for the highway taxes (buying at a regular gasoline station) you may pay even more when you pay "marina prices" and add in the eight mile round trip to fetch it.
Old 04-04-2007
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Ok - you got me interested enough to Google it...

there are a lot of interesting facts and figures on Diesel use in the US HERE: L2_1_1_rf

Here is the pertinent section;

"FUELS FOR MARINE DIESEL ENGINES
A variety of fuels are available for marine diesel engines. There is a set of four marine distillate fuels, some of which contain small amounts of resid,6 and a set of 15 marine residual fuels in which resid is the majority constituent. Since resid increases viscosity, these fuels range in viscosity from less than one centistoke (cSt) to about 700 cSt at 122°F (50°C). The higher viscosity grades are preheated during use to bring their viscosity into the range suitable for marine diesel engine injection (8-27 cSt). Marine fuels also contain more sulfur than on-road diesel fuel. The maximum sulfur content specification varies from 1% to 5% mass for different grades.

Several organizations issue marine fuel specifications. Standard 8217 of the International Standards Organization (ISO) is the primary standard. ASTM maintains a parallel specification, D 2069. "

Last edited by eherlihy; 04-04-2007 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-04-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Not sure why you woldn't just motor the 4 miles. Thats not very far. Nice sail over fill up and sail back, no big deal as far as I'm concerned. Second of all, How often are you really going to need to fill up? Sounds like your more into day sailing than cruising, if thats the case, a full tank of desiel should last a long time. Depending on your tankage and if you are doing mostly day sails, I would think that a full tank would last several weeks, maybe more. But you'll have to figure that out yourself.
Also, your marina may frown apon you filling your boat with jerry cans at the dock. Most marinas are very enviornmently friendly these days and they don't want you spilling diesel into the water. And remember your responsible for any large spills.
Old 04-04-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
"the slow speeds (60-200 rpm) of the large marine engines allow more time for combustion to occur"

Bub, they're talking about diesel engines with pistons the size of your head or a pumpkin. not the yanmars, ok?

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs

Last edited by cardiacpaul; 04-04-2007 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-04-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Sounds like "the shipping industry" means the folks who buy by the lighter full not the jerry can, and their definition of "marine diesel" means "bunker fuel for ships". Not at all what small craft owners need to deal with, or be bothered by.
Old 04-04-2007

rcarr is on a distinguished road
Check with your engine manufacturer. Auto diesel has a much lower sulfer content than marine diesel. Even today's marine diesel has a much lower sulfer content than marine diesel years ago. Sulfer acts as a lubricant. Your engine manufacturer may recommend you add a lubricant additive even with the marine diesel

Rodger

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.