Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-06-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Interesting Sanding Tool

Since Spring is here, or at least is supposed to be here... I saw something that might be of interest to those of you who have boats to sand. Even though it is meant for drywall sanding, it might be useful for bottom paint or fiberglass sanding. Probably also pretty good for sanding teak, where the dust is pretty unhealthy for you.

Quote:
Sand & Kleen Dustless Drywall Sanding Dust-busting drywall sander

Sanding drywall is messy and nasty— it's hard on both your tools and lungs. With this system the majority of the dust is sucked up right at the sanding pad. The sanding head, which uses standard sanding screens, is attached to a hose that runs to the Aquair Water Filter, a five gallon bucket that has a another hose you attach to a Shop-Vac (not provided). As you sand, the dust is sucked through 36 little holes on a pad attached to the sanding head. When the dust hits the water it goes into suspension, and doesn't reach (or ruin) the Shop-Vac. Note: after a good bit of use, you will need to change the water.
You can see the item here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2007

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road
A few years ago, I had my boat hauled at a yard that mandated dust free sanding. After some grumbling, I rigged my Random Orbit Sander's dust port to a shop vac using some cheap sump pump hose. I was AMAZED how much more effective the sander was with the dust getting sucked through the holes in the sanding disk. Also, I wasn't head to toe red when I got done.
Old 04-06-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Mind you, I don't recommend sanding, especially fiberglass, teak or bottom paint, without wearing a protective respirator/dust mask and googles at a minimum... plus a tyvek bunny suit for the bottom paint and fiberglass. However, I can see that this would make clean up a lot simpler...and make the mess a lot smaller.

I also think it would work pretty well on a the dust collection port of a powered sander too.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-06-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Yeah, we've been hooking up our orbital to our shop vac for some time - works great as long as the filters in the vac are the right ones.

The only downside, aside from some restrictions to movement due to the hose, is the higher noise level... but there are hearing protection measures for that.
Old 04-06-2007
Telstar 28

Faster-

I think the point of the water filtration is to prevent the need for filters in the shop vac. The shop vac filters tend to be expensive to replace, and this makes that pretty much unnecessary. I also think that since you'll be further from the shop vac, with this setup, that the noise level would be lower. Earplugs are still a good idea when working with power tools, unless you want to go deaf.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-06-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Sander/Shop Vac worked so well for me, I sanded my entire deck in the slip, the only comment from management was to make sure I had plastic sheets from toe rail to dock finger, which I had already provided.

However, that sander above looks like a great idea and I bet you can attach your orbital sander to also

Last edited by poopdeckpappy; 04-06-2007 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-08-2007

owlmtn is on a distinguished road
I bought a two gal. shop vac from sears, $25. It's light enough that I can attach it to my Bosch sander and, using a sling, easily carry it over my shoulder. I've used it for two years and it works great. Jim L
Old 04-08-2007
Junior Skipper

toewsrus is on a distinguished road
I've used this sander on drywall, but not fiberglass. My guess is it would work about the same.

The water does pick up most of all the dust. It leaves quite a thick layer of sludge at the bottom of the bucket. The tubes, being flexible with ridges, tend to collect a fair amount of dust in them and need a good flushing when the job is done.

I found that the water can splash out of the bucket towards the vacuum. causing a thin layer of drywall compound that hardens, if not cleaned right away, on the inside of that tube. Possibley lowering the water a little would help.

One thing I noticed was a large amount of static that built up in the tubes. It may be because it was winter and dry, but I bet it is pretty common just from the material flowing throught the pipe.

I'd still use a bag/filter on the vac as a little dust always gets though. On my vac I have "HEPA" bags. I know they're not real HEPA, but they do trap smaller dust particles.

The slight variations in spelling and grammar have been added in order to enhance this post's individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Let's Roll
This is the Great Adventure
Old 04-08-2007
Telstar 28

Toewsrus-

I don't think that it was designed to catch everything... but to reduce the amount of dust that reaches to shop vac, so you're not constantly replacing the filters on the shop vac. I would guess that this would extend the usable life, in hours, of the shop vac's internal filter by an order of magnitude at least.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-08-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
If anyone needs something (else) that just sits around collecting dust:http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...t=1,42401&ap=1

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.