Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-08-2007

billangiep is on a distinguished road
Giu...Three rolls of "gorilla" tape should do it
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2007

southerncross31 is on a distinguished road
On my Pearson the rudder bushings were bad and the shaft had a lot of play in it. I got new ones from D&R Marine. A worse case scenario is that the top of the rudder tube is coming loose. When your boat is docked or on a mooring tying the tiller in place (forward) when you leave for a while is a bad idea. If you can spin the tiller backwards and tie it vertically that way (i tie mine to my mainsheet assembly), it puts a lot less pressure on everything and won't wear the bushings out as fast. Look up under the cockpit sole to see if anything is coming loose...or broken. If it is the bearings you have to take the rudder off...which you can't do in the water (easily).
Old 04-08-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Giu-

That boom's beyond fixing.. you need a replacement...
On back order for 2345 years
Old 04-08-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by billangiep
Giu...Three rolls of "gorilla" tape should do it

I went on google and wrote gorilla tape, got that and pictures of a gorilla having sex!!!! (have to give the link to Sailaway21)

I think my boom was made of that in the first place
Old 04-08-2007
"Quack, damn you."

pmoyer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pmoyer
She's a 1976 Columbia 26K. I'll take a really good look at the rudder while I have her hauled out.

Gui - have you considered a nice carbon fiber?

Cheers!
Old 04-08-2007

southerncross31 is on a distinguished road
Maybe a blue tarp would be good with the gorilla tape....and a hubcap....to give it that 'Maine' look Hey Giu....i burned all of my garden hoses, then went to walmart and bought and destroyed all the ones there...after i go to home depot and make sure my wife has no access to any garden hoses of any sort....maybe we could come over for a sail
Old 04-08-2007
"Quack, damn you."

pmoyer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pmoyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross31
On my Pearson the rudder bushings were bad and the shaft had a lot of play in it. I got new ones from D&R Marine. A worse case scenario is that the top of the rudder tube is coming loose. When your boat is docked or on a mooring tying the tiller in place (forward) when you leave for a while is a bad idea. If you can spin the tiller backwards and tie it vertically that way (i tie mine to my mainsheet assembly), it puts a lot less pressure on everything and won't wear the bushings out as fast. Look up under the cockpit sole to see if anything is coming loose...or broken. If it is the bearings you have to take the rudder off...which you can't do in the water (easily).
No sweat! I leave the tiller vertical when I'm not on the boat. I'm hauling her after Memorial Day to replace through-hulls and valves, so I'll look at the bushings then. I was under the deck this afternoon, and looked very carefully at the rudder tube. It looks sound (and I took pictures). I think the tube is ok, so it sounds like it's either just loose, or the bushings need to be replaced.

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Good luck with the rudder. You might want to contact the Columbia Yatch Owner's Association about the rudder.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-08-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross31
Maybe a blue tarp would be good with the gorilla tape....and a hubcap....to give it that 'Maine' look Hey Giu....i burned all of my garden hoses, then went to walmart and bought and destroyed all the ones there...after i go to home depot and make sure my wife has no access to any garden hoses of any sort....maybe we could come over for a sail
I'm happy you bring this subject...

A while back, you got all pissed off thinking I was making jokes of your missus and garden hoses...I was not...someone else did, and I got the blame...

Anyway..you never received the pm I explained it to you...

You're welcome any time..well give me a few more weeks as the boom is "in transit"...
Old 04-08-2007

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
There should be inserts that you can use to temporary repair the boom or mast when you are far far from shore.
Any way I keep thinking about it. Inserts with short section of mast and boom on board for any untoward disasters at sea. Along with the jewelry necessary to attach for temp repairs.
I know the exotic material masts and booms may not leaned to such repairs, but the Extruded aluminum masts & booms should be be handlely preped for these repairs far from the expensive boatyards. You may end up with a shorter mast or boom for the duration, but then you can make it back on your own without expensive tow charges.

Think about it. explore the possibilities, especially if you are crossing the big ponds.

Plus I would replace all of the through hull gate valves with ball valves and exercise them once a week.