SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Gate valves, with scary photo (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/31186-gate-valves-scary-photo.html)

pmoyer 04-08-2007 08:18 PM

Gate valves, with scary photo

I'm nervous. I knew the boat had gate valves, and that they're bad, but now I see that they also appear to be corroding. Need some advice from the experienced folks here.

Here's a picture of the cockpit drain through-hull gate valve:
http://www.bears-pa.com/pduck-thru-hull-01.jpg

My wife says that she hasn't sunk yet, so if we just don't touch them at all, it's unlikely she'll sink over the summer.

The yard can haul the boat. If I wait until after Memorial Day, they'll let her hang in the slings overnight at no extra charge so I can swap the thru-hulls.

Looking at this picture, though (which I can see better than when I was on the boat), I'm wondering if I should have her hauled immediately, blocked and leveled, and just pay the extra fee for the "long term" storage while I swap out the through hulls. Looking at this thing scares the hell out of me....

Any advice?

RickBowman 04-08-2007 08:30 PM

Phil.
Me to. Imho, the few extra dollars now will pay dividends in the peace of mind account later. You must be a better shipwright then I for I would not consider 1 day in the slings enough time to remove and reinstall the thru hulls as there are normally nonpredicted issues that will occur with a project. On the hard you will not be rushed, and may even find some other deficiences that could use your attention?
Rick

sailingdog 04-08-2007 08:32 PM

They're corroding, but from what I see, they're not leaking. If they haven't leaked yet, it probably isn't worth hauling it just to do that. I think you'll be relatively safe to wait until after Memorial Day... which is only six weeks off or so.

Then again it is your boat, so if it really bothers you that much, and you have the new seacocks.. go for it. Rick has also got a good point. If you are on the hard, you can take your time and inspect the through-hulls and replace them as necessary, along with the seacocks. :D

While you're down there, look at the shaft seal, the rudder stock, the zincs. If the through hulls are bronze, scratch the through hulls and see what color they are.. if they're pinkish... replace them, as they're suffering from galvanic corrosion and will fail soon.

SeaStrutter 04-08-2007 08:40 PM

You guys are right to be scared... I'm speaking from experience. I had thru-hulls in similar shape to those pictured. I was also a little concerned, but decided I'd "test" how they worked while my boat was in the water. :rolleyes: . I Opened them all the way, then closed them. I put a final turn into one and the entire cover popped off, which let in a LOT of water very quickly. This happened because I put in a little to much force tightening the valve. Scary...

Anyways, I've since replaced with proper seacocks. It's the first time I've done that type of jopb, and it took me half a day to do two. Just make sure you have some big wrenches ("channel-Lock" worked very well for me) and a crowbar to hold the thru-hull while you tighten things up. I was surprised at how easy it was.

Good luck!

billangiep 04-08-2007 08:43 PM

Phil,
I would most definitely want to swap that thru- hull asap. It looks to be leaking around the upper flange, also looks as though someone smeared a bit of sealant (rust stained) around the flange and also the lower port behind the rusting retaining nut also appears to be dripping,looking at the rust stain on the floor.
Bill,

Jotun 04-08-2007 08:51 PM

If they're not leaking, I vote to leave them. Get out there and sail instead!

Looking 04-08-2007 09:08 PM

Nope. Put it on the hard and take your time. You sound like this is going to wear on you, and how much fun will it be to go sailing with that hanging over your head? Do it now, and relax for the rest of the season.

pmoyer 04-08-2007 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog
While you're down there, look at the shaft seal, the rudder stock, the zincs. If the through hulls are bronze, scratch the through hulls and see what color they are.. if they're pinkish... replace them, as they're suffering from galvanic corrosion and will fail soon.

Thanks again, everyone. I think I'll schedule a weekend on the hard right after Memorial Day weekend. I can take Friday off from work, get them to haul and block her, and take my time to make sure it's done right. There are only three through-hulls on the boat, and I'll feel a lot better if this is taken care of.

Shaft seal - she has an outboard, so no shaft to seal.

Rudder stock - there's a bunch of play in the tiller, but it seems like the entire assembly moves. Here's a picture:

http://www.bears-pa.com/pduck-rudder-post-01.jpg

The poorly-drawn green arrow is pointing to a base plate. Even the base plate slides around when I wiggle the tiller assembly. Not sure of the best way to fix that....

Through hulls - I was planning to replace them at the same time as I replaced the gate valves. As long as she's hauled, what's another 60 bucks? :)

Cheers!

Giulietta 04-08-2007 09:28 PM

Hey...I can photoshop that for you, if you want....:D :D :D and put some Brasilian babes on it too...:D :D

Looks like the bushing (or what the hell that is called) is loose.
Take the rudder off, re-tighten. Maybe the glass is worn out around it...its hard to tell you what to do from a photo....

If your good with your hands, take it appart and see, if not get someone to do it...see...fixed..:D

Seriously, you need to take it appart and see. maybe then send some photos..by the way...the valve seems ok to me, just a little outside corrosion. Don't worry.

Anyone knows how to repair this???:D :D

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p.../Imagem031.jpg

sailingdog 04-08-2007 09:31 PM

Good plan Phil. What kind of boat is this beastie again??? There is probably some information regarding re-building the rudder stock out on the Internet.

Giu-

That boom's beyond fixing.. you need a replacement...