Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-08-2007
"Quack, damn you."

pmoyer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pmoyer
Gate valves, with scary photo

I'm nervous. I knew the boat had gate valves, and that they're bad, but now I see that they also appear to be corroding. Need some advice from the experienced folks here.

Here's a picture of the cockpit drain through-hull gate valve:

My wife says that she hasn't sunk yet, so if we just don't touch them at all, it's unlikely she'll sink over the summer.

The yard can haul the boat. If I wait until after Memorial Day, they'll let her hang in the slings overnight at no extra charge so I can swap the thru-hulls.

Looking at this picture, though (which I can see better than when I was on the boat), I'm wondering if I should have her hauled immediately, blocked and leveled, and just pay the extra fee for the "long term" storage while I swap out the through hulls. Looking at this thing scares the hell out of me....

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2007
Senior Moment

RickBowman is an unknown quantity at this point
Phil.
Me to. Imho, the few extra dollars now will pay dividends in the peace of mind account later. You must be a better shipwright then I for I would not consider 1 day in the slings enough time to remove and reinstall the thru hulls as there are normally nonpredicted issues that will occur with a project. On the hard you will not be rushed, and may even find some other deficiences that could use your attention?
Rick
Old 04-08-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
They're corroding, but from what I see, they're not leaking. If they haven't leaked yet, it probably isn't worth hauling it just to do that. I think you'll be relatively safe to wait until after Memorial Day... which is only six weeks off or so.

Then again it is your boat, so if it really bothers you that much, and you have the new seacocks.. go for it. Rick has also got a good point. If you are on the hard, you can take your time and inspect the through-hulls and replace them as necessary, along with the seacocks.

While you're down there, look at the shaft seal, the rudder stock, the zincs. If the through hulls are bronze, scratch the through hulls and see what color they are.. if they're pinkish... replace them, as they're suffering from galvanic corrosion and will fail soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 04-08-2007 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-08-2007

SeaStrutter is on a distinguished road
You guys are right to be scared... I'm speaking from experience. I had thru-hulls in similar shape to those pictured. I was also a little concerned, but decided I'd "test" how they worked while my boat was in the water. . I Opened them all the way, then closed them. I put a final turn into one and the entire cover popped off, which let in a LOT of water very quickly. This happened because I put in a little to much force tightening the valve. Scary...

Anyways, I've since replaced with proper seacocks. It's the first time I've done that type of jopb, and it took me half a day to do two. Just make sure you have some big wrenches ("channel-Lock" worked very well for me) and a crowbar to hold the thru-hull while you tighten things up. I was surprised at how easy it was.

Good luck!
Old 04-08-2007

billangiep is on a distinguished road
Phil,
I would most definitely want to swap that thru- hull asap. It looks to be leaking around the upper flange, also looks as though someone smeared a bit of sealant (rust stained) around the flange and also the lower port behind the rusting retaining nut also appears to be dripping,looking at the rust stain on the floor.
Bill,
Old 04-08-2007
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
If they're not leaking, I vote to leave them. Get out there and sail instead!
Old 04-08-2007

Looking is on a distinguished road
Nope. Put it on the hard and take your time. You sound like this is going to wear on you, and how much fun will it be to go sailing with that hanging over your head? Do it now, and relax for the rest of the season.
Old 04-08-2007
"Quack, damn you."

pmoyer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pmoyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
While you're down there, look at the shaft seal, the rudder stock, the zincs. If the through hulls are bronze, scratch the through hulls and see what color they are.. if they're pinkish... replace them, as they're suffering from galvanic corrosion and will fail soon.
Thanks again, everyone. I think I'll schedule a weekend on the hard right after Memorial Day weekend. I can take Friday off from work, get them to haul and block her, and take my time to make sure it's done right. There are only three through-hulls on the boat, and I'll feel a lot better if this is taken care of.

Shaft seal - she has an outboard, so no shaft to seal.

Rudder stock - there's a bunch of play in the tiller, but it seems like the entire assembly moves. Here's a picture:

The poorly-drawn green arrow is pointing to a base plate. Even the base plate slides around when I wiggle the tiller assembly. Not sure of the best way to fix that....

Through hulls - I was planning to replace them at the same time as I replaced the gate valves. As long as she's hauled, what's another 60 bucks?

Cheers!
Old 04-08-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Hey...I can photoshop that for you, if you want.... and put some Brasilian babes on it too...

Looks like the bushing (or what the hell that is called) is loose.
Take the rudder off, re-tighten. Maybe the glass is worn out around it...its hard to tell you what to do from a photo....

If your good with your hands, take it appart and see, if not get someone to do it...see...fixed..

Seriously, you need to take it appart and see. maybe then send some photos..by the way...the valve seems ok to me, just a little outside corrosion. Don't worry.

Anyone knows how to repair this???

Old 04-08-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Good plan Phil. What kind of boat is this beastie again??? There is probably some information regarding re-building the rudder stock out on the Internet.

Giu-

That boom's beyond fixing.. you need a replacement...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.