Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-09-2007

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Stepping mast

Any way to step a "normal sized" mast on a 30 to 40 foot sailboat without using anything that is not already on the boat ? That is, using only only things you have prepared in advance that are ON the boat, is there any way to easily or at least reliably step a big mast ? I guess I am thinking like electric winch and ... (?) And I don't mean like going under a bridge and doing whatever, a bridge is not on the boat, neither is a crane.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2007

tigerregis has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Not enough info.
Old 04-09-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Theoretically possible with a tabernacle equipped deck-stepped mast, (but still potentially scary); nearly impossible with a keel-stepped mast at that size.
Old 04-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I have a 28' boat with a 35' 6" mast that I can step and unstep pretty much any time I want to. The main thing I have to do is pull two pins at the base of the mast and disconnect the forestay.

Keel stepped masts add a order of magnitude of difficulty, as you not only have to raise the mast to the standing position, but have to have some way of lowering it down into the hull. I designed a rig for a smaller boat to do that, and it was a royal pain in the butt... That boat was only 25' LOA or so.... and the weight of the mast was reasonable. On a 30-40' boat, the weight of a keel-stepped mast is going to be too heavy to do safely IMHO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-09-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
You could do a deck stepped mast, but would need some heavy duty equipment. On my Hunter 26, with a 31 foot mast, I could raise and lower it by myself using a ginpole, removable side shrouds and the mainsheet (4:1). That first 45 degrees going up was a mother though.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 04-09-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
It depends on how many people you have to help you. If there are enough to hold the shourds and the stays, and some more to lift the mast itself, well yes it would not be too difficult. By yourself - I think it's a really unsafe manouevre to attempt.
Old 04-09-2007

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Thank you all for the responses. I didn't really know if it would be possible or not, but thought that surely you all would know if it was. I will read up on some of the key words in your posts and see if I can make any more sense of it. I'm thinking deck stepped not keel, it's really getting the mast from horizontal to nearly vertical that I guess is the real trick.
Old 04-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BTW, I can do that on my boat with one line lead to a genoa sheet winch, and one hand on the winch handle...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-10-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
The Beezer summed it up regarding that first 45 degrees.
Old 04-10-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
Land a helicopter on the boat, just touch down, even just one skid. Ok, now it counts as something "you have prepared in advance that is ON the boat".

Now, go pick up the mast with the chopper, lower it down on the boat and step it as usual.

Or why not just use the mast hoist like everyone else?

Last edited by CapnHand; 04-10-2007 at 01:56 AM.