Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-12-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Idiens-

Single phase, which is what most countries use IIRC.

Cam's point about the frequency is a good one... Some electronics don't like the change in frequency...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2007

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Idiens

The issue actually is that I don't want to keep my system at 110v because then I'm tied to 110v appliances and they're not thick on the ground in my part of the world. It means that everytime SWMBO wants a new hairdryer it has to come from the US. Thanks for the thought.

Cam
Whilst I haven't examined the matter minutely here at home, I tend to go with Idiens inasmuch as the appliances in Aus and NZ are dual frequency. I'll need to just do a little homework on that but I'm sure that's correct.

SD
An interesting thing that is often done with the three-wire sustem here is to use the earth line to transmit data around the house. I haven't personally tried it but I believe it works quite well.

Guys thanks a lot for the responses, I reckon it'll be good so what I'll do is make sure my insurance is up to it then plug the thing in.
Andre
Old 04-13-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Omatako-

They do that here in the US as well, with things like computer networking gear, and a few other things.

I see your better half is referred to as SWMBO—She Who Must Be Obeyed...smart man... She has you well trained.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-13-2007

arghhh is on a distinguished road
Household power in the US is two 110V legs. Each leg to ground is 110V and leg to leg is 220V. House wiring is 3 wire for 110 and 220 with 110 being hot, neutral and ground and 220 being hot, hot, ground. Of course ground and neutral are tied together at the power box.

If you have a US GFCI recepticle installed you might want to replace them with local ones and they have different (better, lower current and faster shutoff time) standards outside the US.

As far as 3-Phase power you usually measure between the phases for voltage vice ground. Hopefully we don't see that on sailboats!
Old 04-13-2007
Telstar 28

arghhh-

If you need 3-phase 240 VAC power on your sailboat, it better be a really big bastard.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-13-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
arghhh-

If you need 3-phase 240 VAC power on your sailboat, it better be a really big bastard.
SD,

Right now the boat I'm on has 440 VAC 3 phase power and 3 4500KW gensets.
Old 04-13-2007

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
Hold everything, while the wiring will be fine to handle the current with the 220 volts any load connected to it will have to be rated at 220 volts-to name a few that are hard wired and have to be replaced : battery charger, hot water tank , inverter and any thing else that's hard wired. All receptacles should be replaced with NZ receptacles rated at 220 volts. If you just connect 220 volts to the existing hardwired equipment it will fry. Ohm's law rules. E=IR. R remains the same so if you double E(volts) you double I (Amps)
Old 04-13-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001
Hold everything, while the wiring will be fine to handle the current with the 220 volts any load connected to it will have to be rated at 220 volts-to name a few that are hard wired and have to be replaced : battery charger, hot water tank , inverter and any thing else that's hard wired. All receptacles should be replaced with NZ receptacles rated at 220 volts. If you just connect 220 volts to the existing hardwired equipment it will fry. Ohm's law rules. E=IR. R remains the same so if you double E(volts) you double I (Amps)
Of course, but he did say appliances aside. I think he was more worried about the wire itself as he knew he would replace all the appliances with their NZ equivilents.
Old 04-13-2007
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by arghhh
SD,

Right now the boat I'm on has 440 VAC 3 phase power and 3 4500KW gensets.
I'm betting you need more that a travel lift to haul it..

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-13-2007
Telstar 28

ebs001-

But generally each piece of equipment uses the same amount of power, whether it is a 240VAC or a 120VAC... a hair dryer will be about 1500 Watts... so P=EI, so if you double the voltage, to get the same power, you halve the amperage.

Telstar 28
New England