SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

I Cant Sleep

7K views 54 replies 24 participants last post by  camaraderie 
#1 ·
For several years now I have suspected that there where many animals swimming around in the area directly encompasing the hull of my boat. A few days ago my fears where proven justified when some of the critters had managed to get on board and proceeded to prowl through and sniff my rations. While I havent actually seen any of the creatures (it happens at night and the lights are off) I am sure that this has been going on for quite some time. I believe that these gnome-like creatures are able to magically move from underneath the hull, through the hull, and into the cabin. Is there any special type of bottom paint that would deter them?

#29 ·
Nah, he could be a one-shot wonder... The one-shot wonders usually post really bizarre or difficult to understand posts anyways... like this one did. Or he could have been caught and is back in his padded room. ;)

#31 ·
sailingdog said:
My favorite nighttime visitor was a sea lion... didn't seem to realize anyone was on the boat... and it would come aboard... big bastard too... the whole stern end of the boat would sink an inch or two when he came up..... Finally, to discourage his visits, we put down a few boards with some very large nails sticking up and through....
Wow - great story, though I think I'd prefer the duck :)

#32 ·
TrueBlue said:
One summer around 2:00 am while swinging on a mooring in Block Island, we were awakened by a drunken sailor. He pulled up, apparently after the bars closed, and crawled into our cockpit to crash - thinking it was his friend's boat.

That really freaked out my wife and by the time I came up from our cabin, he had already realized his blunder, apologized and sped off in his dinghy. I never found out, but hopefully to the right boat.

Should have used Captain Joshua Slocum's tacks on the deck trick.
Again, I'd prefer the duck, thank you. Preferably confit style.

#33 ·
Yes, a duck is far less threatening...and not quite so large or smelly as a drunk or a sea lion. The sea lion did wait for us to get up and see him after having our morning coffee to make his departure the first time....

On boats with larger swim platforms, I understand that Sea Lions are a reason for them sinking at the dock... a dozen of them will swarm over a boat and try to get comfy... and then the boat will start to sink out from under them.

#35 ·
sailingdog said:
Yes, a duck is far less threatening...and not quite so large or smelly as a drunk or a sea lion. The sea lion did wait for us to get up and see him after having our morning coffee to make his departure the first time....

On boats with larger swim platforms, I understand that Sea Lions are a reason for them sinking at the dock... a dozen of them will swarm over a boat and try to get comfy... and then the boat will start to sink out from under them.
Hmmm... It would take a lot more ducks than sea lions to sink a boat - though it's a funny visual and either one makes for an entertaining insurance claim.

#36 ·
Unfortunately, from what i understand it is getting to be a real problem in southern california marinas...

#38 ·
sailingdog said:
Unfortunately, from what i understand it is getting to be a real problem in southern california marinas...
Found online...

Sea Lions Sink Man's Antique Sailboat
NST, 15 Sept 2005

NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. (AP) -- Jerry Dunlap spent more than a year fixing up his 1910 dream sailboat. But a gaggle of about 15 hefty sea lions managed to sink the 50-foot craft in just one weekend.

Dunlap paid $3,500 to have the boat dragged up from the bottom of Newport Harbor. The radios, radar and electrical system were ruined, and he doesn't know how much it will cost to repair the boat.

"I really don't know what I'm going to do with it," said Dunlap, a contractor. "This is a major setback. I'm 63, I don't know
if I feel like working another two years to get a boat to work."

The scuttling of Dunlap's $24,000 boat may be the most striking example of mayhem that sea lions have caused since they started showing up in the harbor in May.

Residents complain that they bark all night long, and the city received a report that a rogue sea lion tipped over a mother and her child in their kayak.

City officials are considering asking the City Council to make it illegal to feed the sea lions.

#40 ·
TB-

Very true, but apparently the ones in So. Cal are abit on the fat and lazy side... ;) Also believe they're a good deal fatter than the ones in your photos.

#41 ·
Does the Stella Artois flag have anything to do with the excellent acrobatic skills of that sea lion?

Our personal story with trolls is as follows:

On a trip in 2005 to Alaska, we were anchored in Fitzgibbons inlet, at the top of the Behm canal. This is a very isolated spot and we haven't seen any other human for days. About 04h00 am we heard a scratching noise on the hull immediately beside where my wife's head was on the pillow. Then slamming, more scratching and more slamming, on and on and on. We realized it was probably a seal (we saw many earlier that day), but the fact that this commotion is going on two inches from your head is quite deleterious to further sleep! We never saw anything.

However, I'm now wondering whether the morphions (or whatever Giu called them again) are also indigenous to Alaskan waters??;) :D

Magnus

#42 ·
magnusmurphy said:
Does the Stella Artois flag have anything to do with the excellent acrobatic skills of that sea lion?

Our personal story with trolls is as follows:

On a trip in 2005 to Alaska, we were anchored in Fitzgibbons inlet, at the top of the Behm canal. This is a very isolated spot and we haven't seen any other human for days. About 04h00 am we heard a scratching noise on the hull immediately beside where my wife's head was on the pillow. Then slamming, more scratching and more slamming, on and on and on. We realized it was probably a seal (we saw many earlier that day), but the fact that this commotion is going on two inches from your head is quite deleterious to further sleep! We never saw anything.

However, I'm now wondering whether the morphions (or whatever Giu called them again) are also indigenous to Alaskan waters??;) :D

Magnus
Absolutely, but with the cold water, shrinkage renders them to nothing more than a nuisance.

#43 ·
Like'd the post thus far.

I saw someone with similar issues... He was refered to me by the police. they had told him we could give him medicine which would be undetectable to humans but would make him invisible to the 'animals' attacking him.
It worked, he takes his meds and the animals leave him alone, also works for voices no one else can hear, space aliens, ghosts...

yet to cure mother in-laws or ex wives :(

#45 ·
CLucas said:
but here's where it things get really ugly....

That's definitely the ugliest sea lion I ever saw... ;)

#48 ·
TrueBlue said:
Very cool monster shark image . . . didn't see it right away.
LOL... didn't even notice it... ;) Damn monitor's too big... lose the small details unless you're right up close to it.

#49 ·
sittingonthedock said:
Could the creature be one of these? a Sea Monkey?
I hope this photo posts!
Welcome Abord, Dock........
Looks like your gonna fit right in.
I suguest you don't pick a fight with Ian.

#50 ·
:rolleyes: TB,please tell the Mrs that I am trully sorry...you see for a period of time there were many nights that I ended up where I should not have while partying on the Island...mostly in the late 80s,Nicks,Ballards,puusycat??? thems were da days what I remember of them,Im feeling much better now..lol:D

#51 ·
:rolleyes: TB,please tell the Mrs that I am trully sorry...you see for a period of time there were many nights that I ended up where I should not have while partying on the Island...mostly in the late 80s,Nicks,Ballards,puusycat??? thems were da days what I remember of them,Im feeling much better now..lol:D
Cruiserwannabe,
Not to worry and I won't bother telling the Mrs., because if you're recalling the go-go '80s on Block Island, chances are I was bar-crawling right alongside of you. :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.