SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

I Cant Sleep

7K views 54 replies 24 participants last post by  camaraderie 
#1 ·
For several years now I have suspected that there where many animals swimming around in the area directly encompasing the hull of my boat. A few days ago my fears where proven justified when some of the critters had managed to get on board and proceeded to prowl through and sniff my rations. While I havent actually seen any of the creatures (it happens at night and the lights are off) I am sure that this has been going on for quite some time. I believe that these gnome-like creatures are able to magically move from underneath the hull, through the hull, and into the cabin. Is there any special type of bottom paint that would deter them?

#2 ·
I'd throw some chicken gizzards over the side to keep them at bay or you could just invite one of Giu's aunts over for the evening?

#3 ·
Billagiep-

Don't encourage him...I think he went off his meds... the voices seem to be speaking to him again.... ;)

#7 ·
Remember, before you do anything, you'll have to file an enviormental impact statement, get clearance from PETA, and check with your local Wicca coven that you aren't messing with their familars.

#9 ·
set a cage trap, catch one, take it to someone who knows what it is and what kind of "shtuff" you can leave out to keep them away - usually something with a smell that they don't like, like that of a predator. Where are you - on a lake, large bay, ocean - US - East or West coast? How about adopting a dog from the SPCA?

#10 ·
This is what I'm thinking. Get on E-Bay and get a Star Wars Light Sabre. Hide under your covers and burst out every 17 minutes or so with a 1,000,000 candlepower spotlight, screaming and flourishing the Light Sabre. I guarantee you will be able to sleep soundly by the third night.

#11 ·
You laugh... but we were anchored out not too long ago when I heard a splash and something walking on the cockpit just over our heads. Everything is amplified in the boat times ten. When you are half asleep and something has boarded your boat, it is times 1000. I searched around for my 25mm flare gun (and could not find it, thank God, as I would have probabyl just shot myself), then just settled on the flag pole (with flag attached). Now, what was I going to do with that flag pole??? Salute somebody?

Turns out it was a duck.. or I think it was a duck. He jumped in and flew off. Really screwed up my sleep for the rest of the night.

- CD

PS Guess what I had for Easter Dinner... His brother.

#12 · (Edited)
NO...NO....NO....you're all wrong!!

I have the solution for you...its quite simple...

first, those little creatures, or animals you art getting are called "LES MORPIONS", they are like the crabs...of crabs...they are experts in osmosis, and enter the hull thru blisters....they squeeze themselves thru the molecules of fiber glass and wood (luckily not thru Carbon Fiber and Kevlar, as they avoid those boats..they're allergic to fast boats), on most boats, specially ****ty old ones and Catalinas...

Here's a mug shot of one done by our resident artist..

What they do is as they pass thru the hull, they get together, they aglomerate into larger masses, they eat cookies and chocolate, and then...they rape sleeping sailors...but they leave no traces...other than a funny feeling when you next go in the John....kinda like "ants in the sugar box", if you know what I mean....:D :D :D An itchy ********.....:D :D

You need to paint your hull with a super rare very expensive paint called:

"LA SURRENDER"...

Unfortunately its very very very very EXPENSIVE...as it is made with a very rare substance, called French Bravery....so only a few cans were made...

what you do...if your lucky to get one can, is paint it over your antifouling...

I have never seen the MORPIONS, I know they exist, because some guys around my boat walk "funny":D :D :D

Most people..... don't admit having those bore making animals in their boats..... some do admit....but they're "openly" "different"....

I'm protected...I've got enough Kevlar and CF.....and my cruising speed is over 6kts:D :D :D

What's in your hull????:D :D :D

#13 ·
Cruisingdad said:
You laugh... but we were anchored out not too long ago when I heard a splash and something walking on the cockpit just over our heads. Everything is amplified in the boat times ten. When you are half asleep and something has boarded your boat, it is times 1000. I searched around for my 25mm flare gun (and could not find it, thank God, as I would have probabyl just shot myself), then just settled on the flag pole (with flag attached). Now, what was I going to do with that flag pole??? Salute somebody?

Turns out it was a duck.. or I think it was a duck. He jumped in and flew off. Really screwed up my sleep for the rest of the night.
That would freak me out!

#15 ·
Gui is correct this little creatures attach themselves to passing vessels in the Morphou Bay (Greek: Κολπος Μορφου, Kolpos Morfou; Turkish: Güzelyurt Körfezi), is a part of the Mediterranean Sea, located on the North Western side of the island of Cyprus. It is named after the nearby inland town of Morphou (Turkish: Güzelyurt). The bay forms the westernmost seaboard of the break-away spreed,and areall over the world

#16 ·
Very Nice G.......
Your getting better.

I actually remember reading an article in sailing magazine where a reader wrote to the boat doctor saying something was keeping him up at night.

It turns out that the answer was hundreds of small shrimp were actually attacking the slime on the hull below the water line keeping this guy awake at night and driving him mad.

I don't think these guys ever made it inside the cabin.

#18 ·
My favorite nighttime visitor was a sea lion... didn't seem to realize anyone was on the boat... and it would come aboard... big bastard too... the whole stern end of the boat would sink an inch or two when he came up..... Finally, to discourage his visits, we put down a few boards with some very large nails sticking up and through....

#19 ·
sailingdog said:
My favorite nighttime visitor was a sea lion... didn't seem to realize anyone was on the boat... and it would come aboard... big bastard too... the whole stern end of the boat would sink an inch or two when he came up..... Finally, to discourage his visits, we put down a few boards with some very large nails sticking up and through....
Ian calls them girlfriends.....:D :D :D

#20 ·
One summer around 2:00 am while swinging on a mooring in Block Island, we were awakened by a drunken sailor. He pulled up, apparently after the bars closed, and crawled into our cockpit to crash - thinking it was his friend's boat.

That really freaked out my wife and by the time I came up from our cabin, he had already realized his blunder, apologized and sped off in his dinghy. I never found out, but hopefully to the right boat.

Should have used Captain Joshua Slocum's tacks on the deck trick.

#22 ·
One of the guys I used to work with was a notorious drunk. He went to a party at some guys apartment, got drunk. passed out on the couch. He was awoken by the guy(the owner) returning to his own apartment after breakfast. The guy I worked with thought he was in his own apartment and attacked the guy, thinking he was breaking in and robbing him. He beat the **** out of the owner, called the cops, then realized he was in the wrong apartment. The cops arrested him. What an idiot.

#24 ·
SD, at least your sea lion wasn't amorous. We had one night visitor who was certain that if he kept, ah, pressing his luck, the pontoon on the dingy would swim away with him happily ever after.

I guess a sea lion wearing beer goggles thinks "they all look so hot!" late enough at night?

#25 ·
HS... good thing no one had decided to nap in the dinghy...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.