Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-13-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
I have been looking around on the net in the states not knowing what I want or need the ICOM IC-M700 Is available on line for $900 + postage and the m710 for $1300 all us$ you have to search I found these on EBAY store from one of the outlets you have to work through them, they were advertising a second hand unit I cant remember what radio and it popped up on their web page. Something else they stated was that due to the large number of requests for different channels, ICOM was now supplying the units with all channels installed.
Now my question. Automatic antenna tuners do you need them?

I too will be getting a boat from the states in the next 18mths.

WEST MARINE (the robbers) advertise on line the M700 for $1099.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic

Last edited by SimonV; 04-14-2007 at 12:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2007
Wish I never found SN!

Andre
You’re not giving your self much time to prepare. What I have been told is if you need to do work on the boat on the hard, not many yards let you do the work yourself and its very expensive. It was recommended to me, do as much of your work in Mexico its less then half the cost, and the workmanship is better!!.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Old 04-14-2007

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Guys,

You're talking about the Icom M700 PRO, not the M700 which is a much older rig that was the standard for awhile. It sells used for about $400-600, but doesn't have the flexibility of the newer rigs.

Yes, you need a tuner. No practical way around that. Figure another $300-500.

And, if you're going to use an end-fed antenna like a backstay or alternate backstay, you'll need a good RF ground system as well.

Andre....I, too, think you've got far too little time to prepare a new-to-you boat for a 10,000 mile trip. The radio will be the least of your worries.

Bill
Old 04-14-2007

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the concern about my preparation guys but the vessel was taken out in August last year coincidentally in Mexico and the bottom was painted and antifouled, through hulls serviced and a new prop fitted. One would assume they wouldn't not fix things like cutlass bearings etc while it was out. OK that is a little while ago but the underside should still be OK. In any case the boat is undergoing a full survey (hull, engine and rig) so I guess that'll tell it all. The way I see it is if I got a professional delivery done, the person doing it wouldn't sit around waiting for a month while repairs are done to his satisfaction. You check the critical systems are OK and the rest you live with. This is not a holiday voyage, it's a "delivery" voyage. A straight dash for home.

Whilst I haven't done any research yet, I'm astonished that the dealer I went to on-line has a price of $1900 and you guys are getting prices of half that. Seems I need to do some work. Thanks for the heads-up on that one.

And by the way, unless NZ has moved recently, it's only 6000 miles (rhumb line) :-)
Old 04-14-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I think bill's estimate of 10,000 miles is far more accurate... the chance of you being able to sail a straight rhumb line course, without deviating is about zero. Given the fact that a sailboat has serious limitations in the directions in which it can go, determined by the wind... estimating that it will take the boat 10,000 miles of actual travel to move 6,000 as the crow flies is actually rather optimistic IMHO.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-14-2007

I reckon on this one we'll have to agree to disagree.

All of the reports that I have read of people doing trips from Panama and the US westwards across the Pacific (and I've read pretty much everything that I could find) indicate that the voyages they did in total distance, supported by the time it took them to cover the distances of the assorted legs didn't vary much from the rhumb line distances. I've even gone to the trouble of visiting a chandler in NZ who deals in used charts that he buys from passing cruising boats. Their courses are still on many of the charts and they're about as staight a line across the ocean as you can get. And not just one lucky fellow, all of them.

Remember this is the Coconut Milk Run. This is a world of following currents that are actually invariable and trade winds that pretty much stay the way you expect them to (mostly on the beam). Yes there will be weather cells that will have you changing course for a day or two but this is not a voyage where you're beating all or even most of the way. This is a downhill run in the truest sense of the sailing world.

And the routing charts I have examined that are created from many decades of accumulated data support this contention. Whilst I don't expect to use a ruler to plot my course from one end to the other, 60% more than the rhumb line distance is just plain wrong. Sorry.

Andre
Old 04-15-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Andre-

I'm on my laptop working, and don't have VPP2 installed on this machine, since it is my work machine, not my boat machine. When I get a chance tomorrow, I'll plug in the route from San Diego to Opua... and see what it says.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-15-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SD
What is vpp2?

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Old 04-15-2007

SD,

If it's anything like my system (Seapro) it'll probably come in at around 5890 miles (rhumb line). At least I hope so else my system is lying.
Andre
Old 04-15-2007
Coastal Cruiser

Bill Mc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV
Andre.

Your not on your own there with HF/SSB/HAM, my question is does the GAM antenna need to go on the back stay could it go on one of the side stays. I have seen these automatic antenna tuners for @$450us, I take it, they will adjust the length or the antenna internaly ! the radio is $999us.

The GAM antenna can be mounted anywhere as long as it is vertical, (yes a slope is fine too.) Mine is on the back stay. My neighbor has a catamaran and has his on the port stay and keeps an extra to haul up with a halyard in case of emergency. Yes, these definitely go thru an antenna tuner..

Hope this helps.

Asking a ham about antennas will usually heat up a conversation the same way as asking a sailor what the best anchor is.

Fair Winds,

Bill