Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-13-2007
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
Solar charge controller

Can anyone recommend a simple solar charge controller for a small solar panel? The panel I have is for topping off the batteries while not in use. As it is, the panel just has two wires with alligator clips and nothing else. I'm guessing I need some sort of regulator to prevent overcharging, a fuse to prevent shorts, and a diode. The panel is not mounted but just sits in the cockpit. I have two batteries....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Jotun,

What is the output of the panels?

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-13-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The NC25A is a pretty good, inexpensive charge controller and will handle up to 25Amps.

While not an MPPT-type controller, its also nowhere near as expensive. About $150 USD.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 04-13-2007 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-13-2007
Space cadet

CD,
It's on the boat. But it is small. The panel is the equivalent of a trickle charger. I'm guessing the PO just connected it directly to the house battery.
Old 04-13-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
SD,

Assuming it is just a trickle, do you even need a charge controller? My guess is no, but I have never direct wired.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-13-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Define trickle charger, and define what the on-board battery banks are made up of... that would help. IIRC, if the power rating of the panel is more than 1/60 the bank capacity, then a charge controller is recommended.

Since the OP hasn't stated the size of the panel or the battery bank, can't really say one way or the other. I prefer not to wire panels directly to the battery.. but would rather set them up on a fuse block and then put a output from the fuse block on a switch...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-13-2007
Space cadet

I have two 12v wet-cell batteries on board. But, sitting here at work, I can't tell you the size of the panel. It looks, however, something like those little 1.8 watt panels. I'll bring it home this weekend.
Old 04-13-2007
Telstar 28

If that's the case, and the batteries are even Group 24s, I doubt it's even keeping them topped off. And definitely no charge controller needed.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-13-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
25 watts is less than two amps...no charge controller needed. It cannot really charge your batteries...just keep them topped up when you are off the boat.
Old 04-13-2007

kennya is on a distinguished road
if your charger is 400 miliamps or less you do not need a controler.