Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-14-2007
Ken

poloff is on a distinguished road
Angry Mould on canvas

A question for the wise and more experienced.
Does anyone have advice on an efficient and effective treatment for a canvas dodger which has clear view plastic panels in it. I live in a tropical area with an average daytime temp of 33c. This wet season has been fairly long and with a lot of overcast skys and long periods of rain. My canvas dodger started to grow black mould on the inside- the part not facing the wind or what sunshine was around. The dodger is not hard to remove and I have scrubbed it with soap and water but there is still some hard to remove darkening stain.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Mold stains are very difficult to get out of canvas. If a weak bleach solution doesn't do the trick, I'm not sure what will. Vinegar can often be used to treat cloth and other surfaces to help prevent mold from growing in the first place. Also, recently a new product, designed specifically for the marine market has come out, and it is a spray that is designed to prevent mold/mildew growth. I would recommend you try and get that and use it to prevent the problem from coming back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-14-2007

Driver is on a distinguished road
Mold Cleaning Tips

I'm always afraid to use bleach on fabric/canvas due to the potential for big gaping burn holes. Last fall, I used a product that you can buy even in supermarkets with positive results. Chlorox 'Anywhere' says "hard surface sanitizing spray" on the label but I gave it a try and it did work. I sprayed it on, squirted some fresh water onto it, scrubbed lightly with a brush and rinsed. Good luck. I hate mold!
Old 04-14-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
LOL... yup, Chlorine Bleach, properly diluted isn't all that caustic... improperly diluted... yes, it can eat big gaping holes in things...

BTW... don't ever mix chlorine bleach based products with those containing ammonia... Chlorine bleach and ammonia will combine to form phosgene gas, which is odorless, invisible and poisonous... was used in WWI during the trench warfare as a weapon IIRC. Nasty stuff.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-14-2007

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
LOL... yup, Chlorine Bleach, properly diluted isn't all that caustic... improperly diluted... yes, it can eat big gaping holes in things...

BTW... don't ever mix chlorine bleach based products with those containing ammonia... Chlorine bleach and ammonia will combine to form phosgene gas, which is odorless, invisible and poisonous... was used in WWI during the trench warfare as a weapon IIRC. Nasty stuff.
SD, phosgene is not orderless, trust me I know from my job cross it many times. It burns your eyes, nose and throat making it difficult to breath.

Dennis
Old 04-14-2007
Telstar 28

Denby-

You are correct, it is not odorless...smells like fresh cut hay in lower concentrations and at higher concentrations is really unpleasant... in any case the stuff is bad news, and highly poisonous... so don't do it..

Besides, with the stench of ammonia and bleach, would you really be able to smell it.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-15-2007
Swabbie

Neises is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloff
My canvas dodger started to grow black mould on the inside
I've heard of people ending up in the hospital after exposure to black mold, breathing the spores or something... I don't know specifics, you might want to google more info on that.
Old 04-15-2007
Telstar 28

Certain species of mold are very nasty...but they're not all that common. However, most species of mold do contribute to asthma attacks, allergies flaring up and other unpleasantness... so it is best to prevent it as much as possible.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-16-2007
Ken

poloff is on a distinguished road
To all

Many thanks to all for the reply. I'll give it a go after making sure I don't repeat the horrors of the gas attacks of WW1 on the Western Front.