Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-16-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Thumbs down On line purchasing

I've been looking for some cockpit drains or scuppers. Going on line, at the usual suspects, I find that the majority of the on-line catalogs do not list much in the way of relavent data, with sailnet being about the worst. P-Yacht was about the best. This brings up a pet peeve of mine. If I just happen to have seen the product, know it's model number, and know it will work for me, shopping for it here and most of the other sites is fine. If I actually want to know if the scupper they're selling is 2" in diameter or a foot in diameter, well, tough luck. I can understand not having pictures of some items, but no description of it's specifications? How do they expect to sell ANYTHING that way? Listing a 2" drain means nothing. 2" what?

It is literally like shopping in the white pages of the telephone book. I want a "Smith". Do I want a "J Smith", a "John Smith", a "John D. Smith", or perhaps my "Smith" is not even listed.

Going to the manufacturer's web-site sometimes helps, or not, but why should one have to do that? If I am trying to sell something, I usually find it helpful to know something about the product-I certainly don't refer the customer to the manufacturer.

Another recent flapdoodle: CS Johnson ran an ad in one of the boating maint. magazines, I think Boat Works. They have a nice mooring buoy hook that I plan on adapting to hook my swing keel with. All they list in the ad is their web-site. Upon going to their web-site, all you find are wholesale houses with their own lame web-sites. I found the hook at Defender, no thanks to CS Johnson, their web-site, or any of their wholesalers web-sites. Now why would you take a full page advert in a glossy do-it-yerselfer and offer no reasonable way to actually find your product?

We're talking about computers here for goodness sake. Why would you go on-line to get LESS information about a product than you can get from a printed catalog or from the label on the product itself? Oh, and the sites with the "product review" are priceless. How do these over-educated buffoons think they are going to get a product review out of a customer if they can't even describe the product to the customer? I hate to say it, but the only one doing a half way decent job is WM and their catalog. You actually get the impression that somebody opened the box and looked at the product. That's their catalog, which you need to refer to from the web-site if you're going to learn anything about what you've found.

As far as I knew, Sailnet was using their store and advertising to pay for this site. How are they keeping the lights on?
Old 04-16-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Plastimo - European Leader for Boat equipment

Welcome to Vetus.com!

Look for deck drains, skin fittings and drains

Plastimo has everything well detailed. Just type drain in search

Last edited by Giulietta; 04-16-2007 at 01:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2007

tigerregis has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Plastimo; c'est francais n'est pas? WTF?
Old 04-16-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Oui, c'est francais, mais ils expliquent tout trés bien, et c'est possible voir les piéces en detail, et acheter ailleurs. Seullement une idée..
Old 04-16-2007

tigerregis has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Oui, c'est ca.
Old 04-16-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I order catalogues from Stright-Mackay and Fisherman's Supply and Holland Marine. I find perusing these tomes in the comfort of the captain's chambers leads to more productive online ordering.

Stright-MacKay
http://www.mmosonline.com/
Holland Marine Products
Old 04-16-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Sailaway...to your larger point...the state of on-line marine store design is deplorable. The on-going maintenance of such sites is worse and there is no site other than West Marine that begins to provide a decent shopping experience. It is really deplorable since customers can easily tell you what is wrong with a site and point you in the right direction if you have any interest in serving them.
Old 04-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
defender's and mauriprosailing's websites aren't too bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-16-2007

Yado is on a distinguished road
"Uh, you can't go by the picture...."

I needed to buy a small Lewmar #6 winch in chrome to match those I had. Several sites we all know had differing pictures of the winch. I called one and was told, "You can't go by the pictures...you have to read the print to see if it's the one you want." Say what? I thought that's what the picture was for, to give me a visual depiction of the item and not some other item! However, shopping on line is still better than driving to the store to discover that the item's not in stock, when the clerk said it was.
Old 04-16-2007
Take Five

mikeedmo is on a distinguished road
I'll second on the mauriprosailing... their live chat got a technical spec answered that I had spent a week waiting for from Florida Rigging...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.