Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-20-2007

twobytwo is on a distinguished road
Catamaran Bridle??

Fitting out a 26' Heavenly Twins. It's a center cockpit, English built catamaran with around 7000 lbs displacement. It draws 2'3". Home port is St. Petersburg, FL, but the boat will find herself as far as Martha's Vineyard, the Bahamas. I know very little about anchoring a catamaran. I have found some references, but it seems that they all assume an all chain rode. Weight, as with all catamarans, is one of my major concerns. I will not carry the weight of all chain. What size rode, chain, anchor(s) and bridle information/suggestions can anyone offer? Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2007

GordMay is on a distinguished road
For a 26 Ft Cat’ (/w higher windage), I’d suggest a storm anchor assembly rated for at least 1,200 to 1,400 Lbs, which would require 5/8" to 3/4" Nylon Rode (1/4 - 5/16" Chain).
Bridles & snubbers are usually “one size” smaller than the rode (which is also secured to boat), so would probably use ˝" nylon.

Design Loads for Deck Hardware
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery - Design Loads for Deck Hardware

WLL for Anchor Rodes:
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery - WLL for Anchor Rodes
Old 04-20-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd agree with what GordMay said.

However, here are a few multihull specific tips.

The chocks for the bridle should be in the in-board side of the hulls btw, to help reduce chafe problems. The bridle should be at least 40' long, so that you can ease out more rode if necessary, without having to bring the rode back aboard to detach and re-attach the anchoring bridle. and you should start with about 15-20' of rode out—depending on the beam of your boat. 1/2" should be good for the bridle.

I would recommend using 30' of 5/16" chain and have the rest of the rode be 5/8" rope.

If you have any further multihull specifc questions, let me know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-20-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
If your plans include the Bahamas I would suggest a minimum of 50' of chain to avoid coral chafe.
Old 04-20-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Good point Cam...

TwobyTwo— BTW, what is the draft on your boat, when it is fully loaded for cruising?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-20-2007

The boat has a 13'9" beam. I've spent the last 5 years refitting the boat, not using her. I've never seen her loaded down. I will try very hard to travel "lite" and don't expect her to draw much more than 2'4" at the deepest. Who knows, maybe I'll surprise myself and load her up with toys, but NO! I've found several illlustrations showing bridle attachments to chain. Is there a strong and safe attachment to nylon rode if I'm in a deeper water?

Last edited by twobytwo; 04-20-2007 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-20-2007
Telstar 28

A rolling hitch is a pretty solid attachment for the bridle to either rope or chain. BTW, you will need good chafe protection for the bridle legs—preferably something that will allow water through to cool the nylon and lubricate it in heavy weather.

50' of chain will allow you to anchor with all chain at a 5:1 scope in almost 10' of water... considering your draft that should be plenty most of the time.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-20-2007

Yeah, I'm thinking of (dreaming of) those days anchored up outside the reef bottom fishing in the evening. Thanks for the help. I'll start practicing some rolling hitches. My fiancee and I are taking 3 months off of work and hoisting some sails starting the first week of June. Thanks Again, Bob
Old 04-20-2007
Telstar 28

You're very welcome... keep us posted as to what you're up to... And if you're up in the Buzzards Bay region, let me know.. we'll have to meet up.

Telstar 28
New England