SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

when/how do you throw in the towel on a boat

5K views 51 replies 20 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
We are trying to fix up a neglected , old 27' sailboat inherited from a family member. I'm in the process of having a surveyor go over it, so I can get insurance. He's found blisters on it, and the stuff I read on the internet about them sounds horrifying, but I'm not sure the ones on this boat are larger than an dime. I'va had a quote of $1500 to fix that problem, and still waiting for the rest of the survey info.

If the cost of the repairs to the boat are equal or greater than the estimated value of the boat (maybe $5000), what alternatives do I have? How are old boats (legally) disposed of? thanks for any input, I'm not particularly physically fit or nautical, just trying to deal with this in a responsible way.:confused:

#28 ·
sailortjk1 said:
Tie the towel in a knot before you throw it. This will aid in achieving greater distance of said throw of said towel.

Marcupial, rat, rodent, how ever you slice it, its still just towel crap.

Wait, don't throw the towel. I need more rags for my boat projects.
SLICE it ? Have a bit of sensitivity man. Carpaccio of Wombat is NOT on the menu.

#29 ·
Giulietta said:
Yes...yes...absolutely right....yes yes....

The most well said thing you said today...beats the Dyneema Shrouds:D :D :D That was funny too:D :D
In my defense, I'm tired and I have two boats in different locations I must ready for launch in the next two weeks while I finish off two large publishing job. I can hardly get to my beverage these days before the ice cubes are half-melted.

And you COULD use Dyneema shrouds...but not with Sta-lok terminals, I guess!

#42 ·
Giulietta said:
Stick a carrot up his butt...he'll jump....yes he will!!!!:D :D :D
Now that would be worth watching. One sun burnt protégée running around the bush at night with a torch (flash light) in one hand and a greased up carrot in the other, yelling in a foreign tongue, in pursuit of a horrified national icon. It would not end well.:eek: :eek: :eek:

#43 ·
SimonV said:
Now that would be worth watching. One sun burnt protégée running around the bush at night with a torch (flash light) in one hand and a greased up carrot in the other, yelling in a foreign tongue, in pursuit of a horrified national icon. It would not end well.:eek: :eek: :eek:
But he would jump...oh yes he would.....:D :D :D :D

Its Portagee...not protégée!!!

Whare did u learned Engrish??

#45 ·
SimonV said:
Good Lord ! What a horrifying image. Lord Downer of Bagdad , carrot at the ready, chasing Wee Johnie Howard through the mulga. Disturbing, very disturbing..

#47 ·
I was going to apologise for my poor grasp of the English language ... BUT I looked up the word I had mistakenly used and decided it may still apply :D:D

Protégée = a young woman who receives help, guidance, training, and support from somebody who is older and has more experience or influence

#48 ·
SimonV said:
I was going to apologise for my poor grasp of the English language ... BUT I looked up the word I had mistakenly used and decided it may still apply :D:D

Protégée = a young woman who receives help, guidance, training, and support from somebody who is older and has more experience or influence
A yes yes yes....CD can't come now....he will be here soon.....

#50 ·
"Now that would be worth watching. One sun burnt protégée running around the bush at night with a torch (flash light) in one hand and a greased up carrot in the other, yelling in a foreign tongue, in pursuit of a horrified national icon. It would not end well. "

God I hope there is no photoshopping......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.