Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-24-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelHaulin
Newport41-

My boat (a '79 Mk-I) was re-rigged ~3 years ago before I purchased the boat. The re-rig included new terminals/turbuckles (swaged); with running backstays, Harken Mk-III Unit 2.5 furler, and insulated backstay, new running rigging on the mast (7 halyards), new stainless lifelines, spartite mast partners. IIRC the bill for the rigging (no yard labor/time included) came to appx. $18,000.

A similar boat (C&C Landfall 38) has a re-rig price breakdown listed here:

Rigging Cost
That still makes it $3800 for standing rigging replacement + labour.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2007
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
The work done on my boat and the C&C 38 included more than just standing rigging; but it is typical of the overall job that would be done during a mast refit. While the rigging alone may cost ~4,000 by the time you add running rigging, furler (if you add/replace), mast repairs, etc the final cost of a spar refit could easily be 15-20k. It's not 4k in parts and 14k in labor; I'm glad the refit was done just prior to purchase on my boat.
Old 04-24-2007

Newport41 is on a distinguished road
Cam,
Why are we getting rid of our roller furling?
Cost. I would prefer to have one but I would rather spend the money on things we need. It's on the "want list" not the "need list" in other words.
I can also see the pros of not having one, especially in our situation. First, we are a large and young crew. I realize that doesn't make going forward in a large sea safe but I think it lowers the risks. Second, Our sails are not designed to sail "reefed" on a furler, they just don't sit right when partly furled and adding foam or recutting or both is again, getting expensive. So, if the wind picks up we have to go forward anyway. Third, ever had a furler get stuck with one wrap on so you can't drop the sail and you can't furl it furter either?....Me niether but if a squal was coming I would have to say that for lack of a better word, that would suck. I know it's not a huge worry but I thought I'd mention it. So to recap it's really cost, and the incompatibility of our sails.
As for the backstay insulators. Well, from the reading I've done it sounds as if good quality insulators are no longer a weak point although they have a shorter life span. I'm open to suggestions for alternatives.
p.s. I'm always open to critics. That's why I post. If it seems weird to you than maybe I'm missing something.
Old 04-24-2007

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newport41
Cam,
Why are we getting rid of our roller furling?
Cost.

As for the backstay insulators. Well, from the reading I've done it sounds as if good quality insulators are no longer a weak point although they have a shorter life span. I'm open to suggestions for alternatives.
p.s. I'm always open to critics. That's why I post. If it seems weird to you than maybe I'm missing something.

You don't mention what brand of furler you have, or else I missed it.

It doesn't matter what type of insulator you use, it will in fact be weaker than the wire and swages. The reason for this as far as I understand is that the studs are threaded into plastic. The good thing about the Hayn Hi-Mod insulators is that they are failsafe. Meaning that even if they fail, ie the plastic gives way they will only loosen and not come apart completely. They will not be insulated at that point but you will still have a backstay.
Old 04-24-2007

Keelhaulin,
Thanks for the link, very helpful. Like I said before, I'm only looking at what I should be planning on for the fall, not an exact cost, so that was perfect.
Old 04-24-2007

If anyone has suggestions for alternitives to an insulated backstay for the SSB I'm very interested.
Knothead,
the brand of furler won't come to me right now and my paperwork is all down at the boat. I can tell you however that is is 20+ years old and was a novelty at the time because it was sectional and thus easily shipped. It also has no integral wire stay, so if the sectional foil, or a bearing, fails it's game over. I have considered running a wire stay outside the furler but I haven't solved the logistics of it as of yet. Thanks for the advice on the failsafe insulators, I'll look into those further. It seems like a sensible design
Old 04-24-2007

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
[quote=Newport41]If anyone has suggestions for alternitives to an insulated backstay for the SSB I'm very interested.

I think it's been mentioned before on this thread but you might want to consider just having an appropriate length of wire which you can haul aloft with a spare halyard.
From what I understand that works as well as having a insulated backstay except for the fact that you have to deploy it when you need it. I guess it depends on how much time and how often you will be using the radio.
The cost of insulators are at least $200.00 to $300.00 each. You could pick up a used piece of 1x19 from your local rigger for nothing. You might even find that they have an old insulated backstay from a smaller boat that they will give you. (in case you have wire halyards)
Old 04-24-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Newport...in your original post you said you were getting rid of your furler. To me that implied you had a working furler and at least one sail that worked on it. You further implied you were getting rid of it for safety reasons "i.e. lack of confidence". Then you said you were going to add backstay insulators which add 4 more points of failure to an existing backstay. That is what was wierd to me.
Nothing wrong with a choice to use an existing forestay and existing hank on sails...I just didn't understand why you would delete a good furler for safety and then "weaken" the safety of a backstay at the same time. Understand now. I will agree that with good insulators the chances of a backstay parting there is small...but nevertheless higher than without insulators.
Bill Trayfors posted info here on alternatives to backstay antennas that made a lot of sense to me. You might want to PM him check out his post on this thread:
SSB antenna
Old 04-24-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
18000?!?!?! Yikes! This reminds me of the joys of owning a 24 footer!!! ;P
Old 04-25-2007

Yeah tenuki, tell me about it.
Cam,
It is a working furler but having little confidence in it and no forestay, I don't want to take it offshore. Our sails work great on it for cruising aroung here but as I said they don't reef well. As I said above, I'm considering running a wire forestay and keeping the furler for convenience (double track, weekend cruising). We'll have to see about the logistics of that. As for the insulated backstay. I'm very glad you brought that to my attention. I agree that the less links in the chain the less potential problems. I'd like to avoid it if at all possible, especially as we have only the single backstay. Thanks for the link I will explore other options.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.