Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-21-2007
Armchair Horn Sailor

Alden68 is on a distinguished road
done.......almost

Well, after many weekends of work and significant knuckle damage my re-wiring project is complete! The old tub now has 315 amp hours in the house bank with a dedicated staring battery connected by an ACR. I redid almost everything from the cabling to the swithches and solenoids, the DC panel and even the wiring on the windlass. When I light it all off everything worked except one small problem. With the battery switch off the radio worked instead of the bilge pump. Oh well......an easy fix for tomorow!

I wanted to thank everyone for their advice and for all of the knowledge that I gleaned from the many threads on this site.

My hat is off to some really intelligent people out there!

Next month is portholes and fiberglass repair. Break out another thousand!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-21-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Alden-

Glad to hear it went so well... Murphy's just setting you up and making you feel confident, but you knew that, right???

What kind of projects for the portholes and fiberglass do you have planned??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-22-2007
Armchair Horn Sailor

You might remember the Nor'Easter we had around here early last June. Well my boat was tied to a dock in Oak Bluffs harbor and it took a beating. The harbormaster tried to haul her off the dock and onto a storm mooring but with wind speeds being recorded in the low 70's she didn't budge......just beat herself and a piling real bad. A porthole was stove in, a section of the teak rub rail was detroyed as well as the teak caprail and the fiberglass inbetween looks like a dog chewed on it (about a 2x2 area). So I jury rigged the porthole telling myself that I would fix it all in the off season...and here it is.

I was contemplating Marine-Tex for the glass work and I have no idea what to do with the teak short of cutting out the offending sections, building new and replacing which will be a much more involved project than it seems. I'd rather fix with some type of wood putty that is shapeable yet extremely rugged. Any thoughts?
Old 04-22-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Don't use Marine-Tex for the glass work. You really need to re-do the glass and add several layers of fiberglass to restore the strength of the damaged area. Use West, System Three, MAS or one of the other major epoxy brands, not MarineTex.

As for the wood... you can probably cut out the damaged sections and scarf in a replacement section. Takes a bit of woodworking skill, and access to a fairly well equipped wood working shop, but totally doable.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-22-2007
Armchair Horn Sailor

....I'm going to run out of weekends....that fiberglass repair sounds much more involved than I was hoping for. Assuming that once the glass is in and faired I will have to gelcoat.

So I removed the offending porthole today and Murphy came knocking. The ports are screwed into the fiberglass hull from the inside through a teak trim piece which was covered by alot of paint. When the port was removed I found that the teak was completely rotten and the bolts were so corroded some were the size of #2 pencil lead! So I pulled the remaining ports and same thing......spongy, stringy teak and corroded bolts.

Quick questions: The portholes and bolts are chromed bronze. What is the best metal to use for the new bolts?
Old 04-22-2007
Telstar 28

Silicon bronze is probably the best material for the bolts, since it will be fairly close to the bronze of the ports galvanically speaking.

Ouch.... you got some work ahead of you.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-23-2007
Armchair Horn Sailor

How about the best metal for the new aluminum deck step? The old step was stainless with chromed bronze bolts.
Old 04-23-2007
Telstar 28

Use stainless steel screws but coat them with TefGel or Lanocote as a galvanic isolation coating... helps prevent the two metals from reacting to each other. Also, a plastic washer, between the stainless screwheads and the aluminum isn't a bad idea. The plastic from plastic milk bottles, which is LDPE, works pretty well.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-24-2007
Armchair Horn Sailor

Thanks.....great info!
Old 04-24-2007
Telstar 28

Glad to help.

Telstar 28
New England

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.