SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Finish for the cabin sole

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
Nothing is ever simple. Previous owner of my 1977 O'Day 27 project didn’t pay attention to his chain plates because he hid them behind 1/8" mahogany strips which he applied to the 1/2" plywood bulkhead. So out comes the rotted bulkhead, and then the head for an upgrade and then the hull liner behind the head and then all the contact adhesive used to hold the foam backed liner to the hull. What the heck since I had the compression post out I figured that it would the right time to refinish the 3/8 x1-1/2"" mahogany cabin sole. Now that I am ready to begin to put it all back together any recommendations on a finish product for this application?

#2 ·
Ultimate Sole... good stuff for a cabin sole... not slippery even when wet... relatively low maintenance..

#4 ·
We can second SDs recommendation - having just used Ultimate Sole on our boat.

Really good finish, easy application. We have been using other finishes in the past (varathanes, and old fashioned spar varnish) with less than stellar results. Ultimate goes on beautifully, and dries smooth and bubble free.

Not cheap, but worth it. (and we imported it after buying on-line - worked out to close to $100CDN/quart after $38US purchase + shipping and customs brokerage fees - ouch!)

#8 ·
Cam-

You forgot about SolarStiks... we all agree the numbers appear whacked... ;)

#10 ·
Nope... not if you own a boat... the bigger the boat, the more you have to work on... ;)

#11 ·
Shanti...A use tip for the Ultimate Sole...DO NOT even think about using anything other than a foam brush and DO NOT attempt to sand between coats...just let it dry for 8 hours and apply your next coat. It is very thin and needs no cutting to soak in. If you are on bare wood it will probabl take 3 coats to begin looking good. Home depot carries a NICE foam brush that provides even a nicer finish than the 49 cent variety.
...and no...it never ends...but with the right choices you can still go sailing before the cold weather sets in!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.