Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-23-2007
CosmosMariner

CosmosMariner is on a distinguished road
I ordered my 1987 25' watkins new with a 12 hp long shaft ob mounted on the transom. The transom does have a reinforcing backing plate. It worked fine even in 6' - 8' waves and the prop never broke the surface (1996 August off Cape Romano Shoal FL). I replaced it in 2000 with a Nissan 18 hp long shaft on the same adjustable mount. It workes fine. Steering with the spade rudder is better because there is no prop wash over the rudder surface. I have electric start, manual start backup and cockpit mounted controls, don't see how you could do otherwise on a 30 footer. A 9.9 is too small, 15 to 20 hp would be better. Manual adjustable mounts can accomodate up to 25 hp and hydraulic mounts that much or more. Fixed mount is ok as long as you can tilt up the shaft to get it out of the water for sailing and keeping the prop clean and avoiding electrolysis. Adjustable mount lets you lower the engine to maximum if needed in rough seas. 12 hp was 80 lbs and 18 hp is 100 lbs. NO significant difference in trim. Using up the water in my 40 gal tank under the v berth has more effect! However this is and Islander 30 SAILBOAT right? so you will only use the outboard for getting into and out of the marina anyway. I used the 12 hp to go 700 mi from Tarpon Springs FL to Savannah GA on the ICW sometimes inside sometimes outside. No problems except 2 spark plug changes leaning over the stern. Cost in 2000 for my 18 hp Nissan was $2,600, I installed myself.

2 cycle outboards over 40 hp are still legal to sell, the racing lobby saw to that. California could be none, not sure, don't boat there don't intend to.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2007
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by capttb
I have an 88hp 2 stroke on a runabout, not illegal to run but, difficult or illegal to buy one in the state new.
OK, once again, there are no restrictions on the sale or purchase of 2-stroke outboards of any displacement in California, despite your repeated attempts to convince us otherwise. And while it may be difficult to find a manufacturer still producing large displacement 2-stroke engines, our friend is not looking for a large displacement 2-stroke engine. He can have his choice of a wide selection of 2 or 4-stroke outboards in the size range that would be suitable for his boat.
Old 04-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMariner
I ordered my 1987 25' watkins new with a 12 hp long shaft ob mounted on the transom. The transom does have a reinforcing backing plate.
Primary difference is your boat was designed with the use of an outboard auxilliary from the beginning. The OP's boat was not. Yours has a reinforced transom, the OP's boat probably does not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-23-2007

jones2r is on a distinguished road
Are You Sure?

How was it determined that the block is cracked? The climate in your area isn't typically severe enough to cause this kind of damage. While I'm not experienced with fresh water systems, I would think that they, by their nature, would not be prone to freezing. Further, a cracked water jacket in a fresh water system is typically not under enough pressure to be of consequence. A layer of epoxy on the exterior may provide an adequate fix.

Assuming that we are dealing with a water-jacket crack and the system is recirculating, BarsLeak is a very effective product. They make a version specifically for cracked castings, IIRC. Unless you're going bluewater, which your proposed solution implies is not the case, you may be well to the good to give it a try. Easy, cheap, and hopefully effective.

I'm tending to believe that your problem lies elsewhere, unless hot water is spraying from an obviously cracked water jacket. And then you should confirm that the problem is not a corroded freeze plug.

If your evidence is oil in the water or water in the oil, you could be dealing with a blown head gasket. In an engine this old, it would be a very real possibility. A compression test revealing similarly very low cranking pressures in two adjacent cylinders would be confirming evidence.

Just my thoughts.
Old 04-23-2007

capttb is on a distinguished road
So where in California can I buy a new Johnson 9.9 HP 2-stroke Fstbttms?
Old 04-23-2007

Quote:
So where in California can I buy a new Johnson 9.9 HP 2-stroke Fstbttms?
Gee, this took me about 10 seconds to find:

Outboard Motor Shop / Sea-Power: Engines: Johnson
Old 04-23-2007

capttb is on a distinguished road
Just called them and they say you cannot buy a new small 2 stroke in California, only the larger 2 strokes that are fuel injected.
So I'll stick with it being difficult to buy a new small 2 stroke.
Old 04-23-2007

Quote:
Just called them and they say you cannot buy a new small 2 stroke in California, only the larger 2 strokes that are fuel injected.
Well, I just called them too. Further, I checked the West Marine catalog and they have a paragraph in the outboard motor section stating essentially what you had posted here. So I guess I'll have to color myself embarrassed, because you are correct, capttb.
Old 04-23-2007

Guesser is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So buy a 4-stroke.
Old 04-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Four-stroke engines are considerably heavier than their two-stroke counterparts in general.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.