Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-22-2007

mventm is on a distinguished road
outboard for sailboat?

I recently cracked the block on my Islander 30 1973 sailboat, someone told me to put a harness on the back and mount a fixed outboard and steer with the helm. What size outboard would be good, long or short shaft, what are the benifits of a 2-cycle or 4-cycle engine, do I need a remote start or is a pull cord better, and can I run the onboard to the onboard gas fuel tank? I need all these answers answered. Also, who could do the job? Anyone have the answers?

Last edited by mventm; 04-22-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2007

capttb is on a distinguished road
It's difficult (if not illegal) to buy a small 2 stroke in CA these days and under the assumption your tank was for gas it could be used. However the built in tank may have a capacity greater than needed or practical. It's also probably pretty old and you'd want to overhaul it well to clean, check for leakage, venting etc. Might be better with a smaller portable tank above decks.
Check with some local Honda dealers to see what they would charge to install a 10 HP. That will give you an idea of the high end of prices for the job.
Old 04-22-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
The motor aft of the rudder could afffect manoueverability...you might want to rig up a test before you commit...
Old 04-22-2007

Guesser is on a distinguished road
If you're gonna do it...get 4 stroke with electric start and a cockpit mounted shifter. I'd guess a 9.9 would do, but a 15hp might be better. Most likely you'll need a longshaft (20"), but it depends on where you're able to mount the bracket. You'll also want to have a high thrust prop and a depending on the year and make, a reverse thruster, (for exhaust cavitation). For a professional install, with a decent motor, you're looking at a minimum of $3000-$4000. I'd seriously consider rebuilding your inboard first.
Old 04-22-2007

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road
I have a 24' boat and my greatest wish would be for an inboard. When the going gets tough, and you're trying to power through rollers, the outboard has trouble keeping the prop in the water. Also, hanging a 15hp outboard on the transom is a lot of weight to add that far aft. Prsumably, the transom is strong enough to support that weight, but if not, you've introduced another problem. By the time you buy a big enough outboard, add a bracket and re-rig your tank, I should think you'll be close to the cost of your re-build and still won't have an inboard.
Old 04-22-2007
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by capttb
It's difficult (if not illegal) to buy a small 2 stroke in CA these days...
Not so. From The Department of Boating and Waterways website:

Facts About Two-Stroke Vessel Engines
  • Two-stroke engines are not "banned" for use on all waterways in California, nor is there any plan to do so.
General Overview Two-Stroke Vessel Engines
Old 04-22-2007

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
It sounds as if you cracked the block of an inboard engine!? If this is the case then replace that engine. The weight of the inboard is figured into the stability of your vessel. So replace it. Whatever you do don't take out the old one for the above reason with replacing weights required below.
Old 04-22-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
True, they're not ban, nor will they be but, they are being phased out.

I would op for the inboard rebuild, I have a 26 islander with a engine well in the aft deck for a outboard, the best I could do was a 5hp 4s OB, it's ok for motoring out of the marina, but not the best idea for motoring head on threw seas,currents & wind

also, consider the weight of a 100lb outboard canterlevered off your 35 yr old transom

Last edited by poopdeckpappy; 04-22-2007 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-22-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Whether they are banned or not, doesn't mean that sale of two-stroke outboards aren't going to be limited or banned. I believe the laws currently allow use of existing two-stroke outboards, but believe that EPA guidelines will be stopping the two-stroke outboard sales.

I would also be hesitant to mount an outboard on a boat that was designed for an in-board. The outboard will have problems with surfacing when the boat pitches, and adds a lot of weight aft—both of which have been mentioned previously. I don't see it as a viable long-term solution.

Finally, a 9.9 four-stroke OB is going to be around 100 lbs. Is the transom of your boat sufficiently reinforced to handle an outboard motor bracket with that much weight on it. Also, can it handle the forces generated when powering under the outboard??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-22-2007

capttb is on a distinguished road
Go to the next page of the DBW website and after the line quoted is this one.
"The state regulations, from the California Air Resources Board (ARB) Recreational Marine Engine Program, are concerned with the manufacture and sale of NEW marine gasoline two-stroke engines."
I have an 88hp 2 stroke on a runabout, not illegal to run but, difficult or illegal to buy one in the state new.
Explanation of Two-Stroke Vessel Engine Regulations and Restrictions
Pretty much thought when he received an estimate for installing a Honda, our mate might decide it was better to rebuild the inboard himself.

Last edited by capttb; 04-22-2007 at 04:28 PM.