SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Rot in Bulkhead C&C Invader 36 (Frigate)

6K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Den 
#1 ·
I recently discovered rot in the main bulkhead where the upper shroud chainplate attaches. This is a fairly substantial bulkhead - about 1" thick. The roted area is roughly 2 inches wide by 12" high at the upper hull edge of the bulkhead.

Do anyone think that I can fill the area with thickened epoxy or should I be attemting to replace the area with a shaped piece of plywood? Replacing the total bulkhead would be a major piece of work as so much of the interior joinery is attached to this bulkhead.

Greg

#2 · (Edited)
It seems like (and is) a big job right now, but this is probably one of the most important junctures of your boat. The bulkhead is that thick because it is responsible for transmitting the stress of the rig and distributing it to other parts of the boat.

I think that filling it with epoxy is a really dangerous idea. In the end, you are liable to end up with an even weaker boat. The bond formed between old, deteriorated wood and the epoxy will not be strong enough to deal with the load.

You might be able to cut away the rotted part, replace it with new, well-sealed wood, and then sandwich that between two EQUALLY STRONG pieces of wood that are through-bolted (lots of bolts here - not one or two) holding all three pieces together. Make sure that the pieces on either side are much larger than the one in the middle, and make sure there a lot of bolts on the perimeter, as it is these bolts that are taking and distributing the load - not the sandwiched piece in the middle.

Good luck and let us know what happens...

The sooner you deal with it - the better.

#4 ·
Of course, the best solution would be to remove the bulkhead and replace it completely.

However, whatever method you use to fix the problem area... don't forget to seal the plywood with epoxy and then to pot the holes for the chainplate fasteners, much like you would with a cored deck. That way, any leaks at the chainplate will result in a wet interior, but won't cause any future deterioration of the bulkhead.

#5 ·
HI Greg,

I found your post about rot in a Google Search for Invaders. You list the Frigate as being an Invader and it's my understanding that they are different boats, very similar, but not the same boat. Yours is a little bit heavier and the rudder is different.

That doesn't matter but what I keep an eye out is for Invader owners to make contact. There are one 3 of us that I can find and we are trying to see how many of the original 25 that were made are still alive. Here's my site if you are curious.
sherloch

Relating to your post. Did you get the rot fixed in the bulkhead? All of my shrouds are bonded to the hull and none of them are chainplated to a bulkhead. I had a rig on a Columbia come down once when the chainplates pulled out of a rotten bulkhead. It was not pretty. I'm glad I don't have to worry about that now. I hope you got your fixed. It's a mess if it pulls out.

I'd be interested in seeing photos of your boat if you have any. It looks very similar to the Invader.

Regards,

Rob Holmes

#6 ·
HI Greg,

I found your post about rot in a Google Search for Invaders. You list the Frigate as being an Invader and it's my understanding that they are different boats, very similar, but not the same boat. Yours is a little bit heavier and the rudder is different.

That doesn't matter but what I keep an eye out is for Invader owners to make contact. There are one 3 of us that I can find and we are trying to see how many of the original 25 that were made are still alive. Here's my site if you are curious.
sherloch

Relating to your post. Did you get the rot fixed in the bulkhead? All of my shrouds are bonded to the hull and none of them are chainplated to a bulkhead. I had a rig on a Columbia come down once when the chainplates pulled out of a rotten bulkhead. It was not pretty. I'm glad I don't have to worry about that now. I hope you got your fixed. It's a mess if it pulls out.

I'd be interested in seeing photos of your boat if you have any. It looks very similar to the Invader.

Regards,

Rob Holmes
Good afternoon.
I have the invader 3 now and I am in the process of restoration.
I am having her move to my property and building a shop around her.
Absolutely Beautiful boat but in rough shape.

#7 ·
Very cool. I'd love to see some photos. I'm in the process of painting my decks. Got interrupted by the Covid mess (didn't catch it, just disrupted by the turmoil in its wake).

Upkeep of this old magnificent boat is almost a full time job. I just replaced the manifold and exhaust as well as painting the upper block. I broke the bob stay to my bowsprit last week sailing in 30kt wind so I'm having that made this week.

It just never ends...lol... I would like to see photos of you boat though. I haven't updated lately, but here are some of mine. Rebirth of a Classic C&C Yacht

Edit: Now you have me scratching my head. I posted years ago that the Frigate was a different boat. I just saw this and it's called a Frigate. It looks identical to mine. Frigate 36 - Wikipedia Now I'm wondering if I've been wrong and I have a Frigate instead of an Invader. Hmmm.... How can I tell for sure?

#11 ·
Very cool. I'd love to see some photos. I'm in the process of painting my decks. Got interrupted by the Covid mess (didn't catch it, just disrupted by the turmoil in its wake).

Upkeep of this old magnificent boat is almost a full time job. I just replaced the manifold and exhaust as well as painting the upper block. I broke the bob stay to my bowsprit last week sailing in 30kt wind so I'm having that made this week.

It just never ends...lol... I would like to see photos of you boat though. I haven't updated lately, but here are some of mine. Rebirth of a Classic C&C Yacht

Edit: Now you have me scratching my head. I posted years ago that the Frigate was a different boat. I just saw this and it's called a Frigate. It looks identical to mine. Frigate 36 - Wikipedia Now I'm wondering if I've been wrong and I have a Frigate instead of an Invader. Hmmm.... How can I tell for sure?
Hi Rob, from the pictures on your blog, you definitely have an Invader. I have a 1970 Frigate 36 that I purchased two years ago. Although the hulls and interiors are very similar, the main difference between the designs is in the keel - the Frigate has a more shallow draught keel with a centerboard (7' down,, 3' 7" up). The centerboard pennant runs through a stainless steel tube in the middle of the companion way step to a winch mounted on the bridge deck. Also the pilot berth is on the starboard side on a frigate and seems to be on the port side on yours. Other than than these things, I think the invader and the Frigate are pretty much identical. I have # 19 of 36 Frigates built.
Cheers, Jim

#8 ·
Wow your boat is identical to mine.
Very nice job. Well done sir.
I just rebuilt the motor and new motor mount need to go in.
I have fallen on hard times and need to have her hauled off to my property to keep the dream alive. One issue I am having doing that is I need a proper cradle for the land tug to haul it.
Any chance you have proper measurements
For invaders cradle?

#9 ·
Thanks. I still have a lot of work to do. I don't have any cradle measurements. I've never needed to haul on land. Post some photos as you go. I think we have all had some hard times lately. I'm struggling a bit too and I need funds to keep my boat repairs going. I feel your pain there. Stay in touch.

#13 ·
The Epoxy is a great idea, to put the new bulkhead in. I’d have your hull twist checked. I’d consider stripping every bit of weight out of the hull you can during repair. After repair I think I’d have a pro tweek it. I’m happy you caught it.
Minwax did make a wood petrified to replace lost cell structure in wood. It offers no strength at all more for refinishing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.