Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-23-2007

1970Columbia34 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via MSN to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via Yahoo to 1970Columbia34
Splicing Book / Tools

Looking for a good splicing book and some tools to do line splicing. I need to do a end to end splice to replace our roller fulring which is a Hood and requires a continious loop of line to work, and the splice needs to stay the same diameter as the line. Thanks.

Scott
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2007

kennya is on a distinguished road
try this sight: 12-Strand End-for-End
Old 04-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
NE Ropes has good splicing instructions on their website, as does samson ropes.

Personally, I like the splicing wand by Brian Toss, or the Samson fid set.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-23-2007

equitiman is on a distinguished road
Also check out Brian Toss' books...as far as I know he is the reigning authority on this subject.
Old 04-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BTW, I don't think that 12-strand is a great rope to use for a roller furling continuous line setup, as the strength of the line is easily compromised if the line gets abraded at all. This is not the case with double braids, since a significant portion of the strength is in the core, which is protected by the outer braid.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-23-2007

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
NE Ropes has good splicing instructions on their website, as does samson ropes.

Personally, I like the splicing wand by Brian Toss, or the Samson fid set.
Splicing wand?? Are we the Fairy Godmother or something??
I've always known the tools for splicing fiber line as a FID. And with the assorted types of lines out there it now comes in various shapes.

Now for Wire rope I always used a marline spike and not a fid The difference is the fid is usually wood and the spike is either steel or bronze. The bronze on is use on tank ships because it is non-sparking.

A retired Boatswain mate from the Navy. But the nomenclatures do change from time to time... And BT may have wanted to set his design apart from the rest of the world.
Old 04-23-2007

1970Columbia34 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via MSN to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via Yahoo to 1970Columbia34
I am using double braided for the roller. I will look for material from Brian Toss.
Old 04-23-2007

agaliha is on a distinguished road
The best instruction I have found for splicing rope is on the Sampson rope web site. It is more complete than the the brochure they produce on the same subject. Have fun!
Old 04-24-2007

knuterikt is on a distinguished road
I have also found Sampson rope a good website for splicing instructions.
Just replaced my old fid's from Sampson with new from a Norwegian company, found them easier to use. Take a look at this site Selma as
Old 04-24-2007

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970Columbia34
Looking for a good splicing book and some tools to do line splicing. I need to do a end to end splice to replace our roller fulring which is a Hood and requires a continious loop of line to work, and the splice needs to stay the same diameter as the line. Thanks.

Scott
NER's instructions for a constant diameter end to end splice are as good as any. Use a standard double braid polyester line (Sta-set, Sampson, Yale etc.) because most instructions are assuming that you have about as much material in the core as the cover.
A hint for making sure you don't end up with hollow spots in your splice. Cut the ends about 3/4" of an inch longer than the marks you make before you taper the ends and finish the splice. The line gets longer after you taper the ends because of a reduction in diameter. If you cut at the marks, the ends will dissapear and you will be left with hollow spots. While not really reducing the strength of the splice much, it will look crappy.
Don't forget to cross stitch the entire length of the splice. This will get you back some of the strength you lose by not doing a standard end to end splice.