Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-24-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
URGENT: Trying to find a replacement compressor

Coming back in from our test sail a few weeks ago, the compressor for our REFRIGERATION (word reefer replaced to allow slow Portugese people to understand - thank gawd they have good Port) system started screaming. Apparently, we need to replace the compressor (it's a sealed unit), but it's original to the boat (from 1984) and we can't find one. Pasting from an e-mail I received:

The system on the Boat is an Adler Barbour Combicold 20 AW W/ 3 Holing Plates and Dual Solenoid Valves. It has an Italian Compressor made by Framic... I called Adler/Barbour (Waecousa.com) and they have never heard of these sytems... It is about 20-24 Years old. I remember them as I installed about 50 of them back in the day. I have E-Mailed or called all of the people I could think of to find a compressor... Even left a message for Mike Adler and there are no sources that I could find....

It's going to cost me a few thousand dollars if I need to replace the entire system. Does anyone know where I can go? HELP!!!!

And the urgency revolves around the fact that I'm doing my delivery from Annapolis to Lake Champlain in 11 days and need this done before then!
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me

Last edited by labatt; 04-24-2007 at 01:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Labatt...I had the same system (using r-12) hooked up to dual holding plates. No luck in finding a replacement. I good fridge guy might be able to purge the lines and let you get a new compressor while continuing to use the existing plate system with a different refrigerant. Worked for us.
Old 04-24-2007
I'd rather be sailing

Unhappy

According to the person who looked at our system, Adler Barbour tried to create a less expensive system years ago by combining a three plate system with a small compressor. He doesn't know of a compressor big enough to run all three plates. Yours is a dual plate?

Today is a crappy day . I just got a call from the guy doing the rigging on our boat and we need to fashion new mounting plates for our clutches, AND he misquoted me on the price of the line for our new reefing line by 50%. Arghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! This on top of potentially having to shell out over $4k for a new reefer/freezer system...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by labatt; 04-24-2007 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-24-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I think Cam's suggestion of keeping the current holding plates and changing out the compressor is a good one.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-24-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
I was really really really confused...

I started reading Labbat's post about a reefer compressor...

My brain was reading:

" a machine to reef a sail"....really...then got worse when Cam said to get a refrigerator guy....

finally I understood you were talking about refrigeration, not reef on a sail
Old 04-24-2007

skrap1r0n is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta

I started reading Labbat's post about a reefer compressor...

My brain was reading:

" a machine to reef a sail"....really...then got worse when Cam said to get a refrigerator guy....

finally I understood you were talking about refrigeration, not reef on a sail
Me too. I was actually thinking that it was kinda cool (no pun intended) to have a Pneumatic furling/reefing system sharing lines with a cooling system.
Old 04-24-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I worry about you two sometimes..

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-24-2007

skrap1r0n is on a distinguished road
well look at the word "reefer", it has 3 distinct meanings and one of them is particularly pertinent to sailing. Why wouldn't the first assumption on this site be in regards to sail management?

If this was like hightimes.com, or freightliner.com or something, it would be an entirely different assumption alltogether...
Old 04-24-2007
I'd rather be sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta
I fixed my post for you... better now???
Old 04-24-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
In fact, in my case as a forigner I was even more sure it was a sail reefer when Labbat wrotte the following after...

From Labatt's post:

"Today is a crappy day . I just got a call from the guy doing the rigging on our boat and we need to fashion new mounting plates for our clutches, AND he misquoted me on the price of the line for our new reefing line by 50%. Arghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! This on top of potentially having to shell out over $4k for a new reefer/freezer system..."

So why wouldn't I percieve his problem to be on hydraulic reefer system on a sail??

I wanted to see how it looks, on a boat his size....why would he need one??

Not tottally impossible in my brain here is why:

Americans Golf in electrical Carts, use cars inside Supermarkets, I see people parking in disabeled parking sopts and then run to where they are going, even saw a Porsch 911 in Pueblo with a disabled permit!!!!, eat pre-cooked pre-cut pre-fried pre-done food, in NY, the city with the most stairs in the World, people go to gyms to go on a step machine!!!

So why??? why??? why would I think differentely one someone said he hais a hydraulic reefing system???