Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-25-2007

Bluewater4us is on a distinguished road
CNG to Propane

I am looking to change my CNG set up to Propane. Is it expensive? How do I do it? Will I need to get a new Stove/Oven? I have a regal ( I think) Stove/oven. I am having troubles getting the tanks filled and also the tanks have european fittings.

Any help is welcome
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It depends... Some stoves will have propane burners available, so that you don't have to change the entire stove out.

I'm not sure about whether the regulator will work with propane or not, but believe it and the hose leading to the tank will have to be changed out for new propane ones. You'll also need a new tank more likely than not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-25-2007
Sailmanles

longwaterline is on a distinguished road
Why would you want to switch to propane? CNG which I have on Wave Dancer, an S2 11.0A, is a superior fuel and is much safer than propane. Admittedly it is more difficult to refill but you can find sources or have the cylinders delivered. Why propane became the standard is not clear. Probably the propane lobby.
Old 04-25-2007

donrr1 is on a distinguished road
In some stoves the conversion is as simple as changing one orifice. It's simple if YOUR stove has a changeable orifice. See the literature that came with the stove to find out. If that is unavailable, contact the manufacturer. There may also need to be a change made to the 'air gap' in all of the burners. I'm not sure if it needs to be longer or shorter. Check with the manufacturer to see if the pressure setting on the regulator is acceptable for your application.

Don
Old 04-25-2007

I found a place that can fill the tanks but they can't because of the european fitting on the tanks. Is there a solution to that? If so where can I get the parts?
Old 04-25-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by longwaterline
Why would you want to switch to propane? CNG which I have on Wave Dancer, an S2 11.0A, is a superior fuel and is much safer than propane. Admittedly it is more difficult to refill but you can find sources or have the cylinders delivered. Why propane became the standard is not clear. Probably the propane lobby.
IIRC, Propane became the standard because it was easier to ship over long distances for many years, compared to CNG. Propane also provides far more heat per unit volume than does CNG.

Propane — 425.31 kJ/kg 1.91 kg/m3

Methane — 510 kJ/kg 0.68 kg/m3

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-26-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
For info on this and your other CNG thread:

Corp Brothers Corp Brothers-Marine Products has a listing of tank exchange / filling locations by state.

They also carry parts Corp Brothers Marine Products that may allow you to fill / swap tanks instead of converting the stove.
Old 04-26-2007
Coastal Cruiser

Bill Mc is on a distinguished road
Why LPG ???

Mmmm Lets see...

CNG tank exchange $80.00 + shipping

Our last bottle lasted about 4 weekends. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner for 2 people and some guests plus baking biscuits for B-fast. About 20hr cook time.

LPG tank $10.00 can purchase anywhere. Just installed details to come.

Fiberglass LPG tank for safety, no BLEVE, no rust , Rail mounted with a sunbrella cover to protect tank from UV. The tank was $100, the hose and fittings $50 and the conversion kit for the seward range $140 so about $300 total. I'll post some pictures when I get back from the boat. At 285# I can put away some groceries. and boy can my Baby cook

PS I have a CNG Tank and Regulator for sale for $300

Fair Winds,

Bill

Last edited by Bill Mc; 04-26-2007 at 03:25 AM.
Old 04-26-2007
Telstar 28

Bill-

How do you like the composite tank? Is it the clear one, where you can actually see the propane levels through the tank wall??

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-26-2007

Bill .......... Where did you get the parts to convert? Where did you get the conversion kit for your stove? Should I contact the Stove manufacturer? I saw the tanks in West Marine Catalolague. I think I can make them fit no problem. I just don't want to buy a new Stove/oven.

Paul