Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-26-2007

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
I also can't see how a "Larks head" aka "girth hitch" would work when you apply a load to only one end as you would when a jib was sheeted to one side or the other. You wouldn't keep a load on the windward side, so it seems to me this would be highly likely to slip, unless you had some form of stopper, like an overhand in addition to the girth hitch/larks head. Of course an overhand would become impossible to untie with repeated loadings.

I like the idea of one long sheet with a single knot vs. the separate sheets with bowlines I have currently, but think I'd be more inclined to try a figure 8 on a bight (essentially a fig 8 follow through with a long tail) than a larks head. It would be less bulky than two bowlines and would not be inclined to slip like a girth hitch when pulled from one side or the other.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Some people don't have a dedicated set of sheets for every sail... .
Oh well then that I understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV
For the larks head to work, you need tension on both ends, or the lose tail needs a half hitch to stop it working lose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor
I also can't see how a "Larks head" aka "girth hitch" would work when you apply a load to only one end as you would when a jib was sheeted to one side or the other. You wouldn't keep a load on the windward side, so it seems to me this would be highly likely to slip,
Don't mean to sound like the defender of larks head knots, but I've been using this attachment for a while without any sort of stopper and it does not appear to slip at all, and give the tendency of bowlines to hang up on my rig, I can't see going that route again

Also, and this is just a thought, but these sheets do get wet, and any wet knot is a bitch to get loose
Old 04-26-2007

dougyoung is on a distinguished road
Interesting post. I've learned a few things here. I ahve one continous line for both sheets. I just put an overhand loop in the middle. I then attached a twisted-D shackle to the clew. This ain't good. The shackle hangs on the inside shroud on port tacks. I know that overhand loop is going to be a bitch to untie, I'll try this weekend. I am going to try the Lark's Head. It's tough to argue with simplicity. I might use some of that wonderful super-strong riggers wonder tape I bought at the boat show on the tails inside the knot to insure no slipping. Simplicity again maybe?
Old 04-26-2007

capt.stu is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I have used the lark's head on genoas for the last 10 years and never had it slip even in 40 + true wind.
When its time to take it off, I find it is very tight.
Old 04-26-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
I have another attachment that I just remembered we're using, My wife made a loop ( eye loop ) with a tail of about 2-3" long, then she took some waxed sail thread and did what she call a " Gathering wrap " from the base of the eye to the end of the tail ( this was something she remembered from her macrame days ) and made this very clean looking eye loop; At the time I said " I don't think it will hold " and she said " bet me ", so I did, well, now I'm glad she forgot the bet because it's been 10 months now and they have held fast, they only way to undo these lines is to cut the Gathering wrap. this eye loop is being used on the Vang,topping lift and traveler.

Last edited by poopdeckpappy; 04-26-2007 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-26-2007

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt.stu
I have used the lark's head on genoas for the last 10 years and never had it slip even in 40 + true wind.
When its time to take it off, I find it is very tight.
Ok, that's several folks that have said it won't slip, so since I need new sheets anyway, I'm gonna try it to see if it will eliminate the hang-ups I got with bowlines.

So let me see if I have this knot figured out. I bend the sheet at the mid-point, poke the resultant bight through the clew, then drop the ends through the bight, pull it tight and dress it up. The ends are then lead aft through the genoa cars to your winches. Correct?
Old 04-26-2007

longislandsound is on a distinguished road
Can someone tell me where I can learn how to do these knots?

Jeff
Old 04-26-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandsound
Can someone tell me where I can learn how to do these knots?

Jeff

try this site

Knots Gallery
Old 04-26-2007

Larks head

Old 04-26-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor
I bend the sheet at the mid-point, poke the resultant bight through the clew, then drop the ends through the bight, pull it tight and dress it up. The ends are then lead aft through the genoa cars to your winches. Correct?
that's correct

one other thing to mention, in that drawing above it show the loop or eye crossing under the tailings when, you attach this to your clew, you want it crossing over the top ( just the opposite of what you see above )

Last edited by poopdeckpappy; 04-26-2007 at 03:07 PM.