Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-26-2007
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Head replacement...recommendations?

The 15 year old el cheapo has flushed it's last flush (crapped out?). Time for a replacement, don't want to spend a fortune and want to stay with a manual. Practical Sailor (Sep. 2000) recommends the Raritan PH - II, does anyone have any recommendations or cautions? Thanks, John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I"d say go for a Lavac, if you can afford the cost. The Lavacs are simpler and more foolproof than most other marine heads and generally have fewer maintenance issues.

Might also want to measure the space the head fits in to make sure that whatever alternative you choose is going to fit properly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-26-2007

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
svsirius is on a distinguished road
Lavac or PH II are both good choices.
Old 04-26-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
PHII's are reliable, cheap and easy to fix.
Lavacs are expensive and the best.
Old 04-26-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Correct on the cost of Lavac heads and their parts - but essentially, they're maintenance free. We have two Lavacs onboard and have had to replace the seat lid on one due to pump-out pressure cracking it.

After shelling out 150.00 for just the round plastic lid - we've learned to keep the lid up during a tank pump-out.
Old 04-26-2007

Northeaster is on a distinguished road
TB - I am looking at replacing an older Raritan, with a Lavac Popular ($350) or Zenith ($300 discontinued / clearance). Any input on the different models?

Also, Are you set up to use the lavac toilet pump to pump out your holding tank at sea? If so, can you explain / draw you system, as I see on the Lavac site, that you can do it a couple of different ways, only 1 1/1/2 connction to the tank for in / out, or using a separate in / out, that would result in dockside pumpouts sucking everything through the manual pump. Looking for best / simplist way to connect everything. Will be using pumpout most times, but would like the option to manually dump tank at sea as well!
Old 04-26-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
The Zenith is fine. Buy some spares if you're worried.

You can do FOUR things with the Henderson/Lavac, actually: 1) pump to holding tank, 2) pump overboard via a diverter valve, 3) pump the holding tank to the sea, and 4) with a second valve, you can use the Henderson as a manual bilge or sump pump.

My wife *likes* the new-to-us boat, but it was the sight of the Lavac that made her say: "we're buying it!".

I consider it the crapper of the gods, personally, and I wouldn't go back to that Jabsco/Groco/Par junk again.
Old 04-26-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Northeaster,
Both our Lavacs are Zenith models, which as you noted, have been replaced by the 3rd generation Popular model. The Zenith is more robust with a heavier porcelain bowl - making it more expensive. The Popular was designed to lower costs, though it seems to have a better designed seat lid, the weak point of the Zenith models.

Our forward head has a dedicated Henderson pump for bowl flushing and is plumbed with a Y-valve allowing for either tank discharge or directly overboard. There is also a divertor valve allowing for tank pump-out via a deck fitting, or use of a separate Henderson manual pump for emptying the 25 gal holding tank at sea - while offshore from the NDZ of course.

Our aft cabin head has a third Henderson pump, but only disharges directly overboard - something I've considered changing, if I can decide where to put another tank.
Old 04-26-2007

Northeaster is on a distinguished road
TB- I started a separate post, so I wouldn't steal this one. Sorry!
Where you have a separate pump, for the manual tank pumpout at sea, the Lavac site shows a couple of ways of achieving this with the sole toilet pump. I wonder if this may be a case where it is better to keep it separate? I realize that some people put a manual pump in line with an electric, as a backup, and it is OK to draw the contents through the manual pump. However, I assume a dockside pump would produce a lot more force than an electric toilet pump, and wonder if this would hurt in the long run. Just looking for the best / mosy foolproof way of doing it, without wasting $$.
Old 04-26-2007
Señor Member

I can't comment on the use of one Henderson pump for both thru-hull tank discharge and bowl flushing, since I've not had direct experience with this setup. My arrangement though, has been foolproof. I was truely amazed over how efficiently the tank can be emptied at sea.

It is important however, to adjust the divertor valve between the tank discharge pump and deck pump-out. I had forgotten once, leading to some frustrations with our Marina's pump-out attendant - until finally realizing what was wrong.