Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-26-2007

dsmylie is on a distinguished road
Question What paint to use

I need to paint inside cabinets and the space under the births and settees.(all fiberglass) What paint would you all recommend? Color will be white. Any input would be appreciated.

David
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2007

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Gelcoat..

or a two part paint like Imron or Awlgrip for the fiberglass areas. I have yet to see a one part epoxy paint adhere well in "bilge" lockers or over bare fiberglass when below the waterline. As for the lockers clean the wood with TSP, bleach & water or teak cleaner then oil them. If the inside of the cabinets were originally oiled, as many were , you may have a tough time getting good adhesion. If it's raw, non oiled, wood any of the Petit Easypoxy paints will work well.

I owned a Catalina 30 where the owner painted every bilge area and the head & it took me two months of hard work get all the flaking Easypoxy off with paint strippers and to re-gelcoat the lockers and the bilge. I was able to clean and re-buff the head gelcoat to like new without any paint or re-gelcoating..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 04-26-2007

Thanks for the reply. It's all fiberglass with the majority being interior hull. I have been working to get all the old flaking paint off. A real PIA. Fortunately the bilge proper was never painted and there is not the much area below the water line.
Old 04-26-2007

equitiman is on a distinguished road
One-part

I would personally use a one part polyurethane with some mattening agent to dull the shine a little bit. I just finished doing my deck with a two part paint and it looks really good, but I can imagine it is a real PITA to work with in confined spaces (i.e. under berths and in cabinets) and it would be rather difficult to get a nice finish. Plus, since you are painting inside the cabin a lot of the additional durability provided by the two-part against chemicals, elements etc. won't be necessary. Next winter I plan on refinishing the interior of my boat and I will definitely be going the one-part route.

Of course, if you mean you are painting the bilge then my suggestion is null and void.

Bob

Last edited by equitiman; 04-26-2007 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-26-2007

A bare bilge is a good bilge
Old 04-27-2007

captainchetco is on a distinguished road
One other point. Most 2 part paints use very dangerous solvents. People have died or suffered permanent nerve damage using them in enclosed places. You must use "supplied air" breathing gear when using 2 part paints.

Of course even one part paints have dangerouse fumes which must be dealt with, but 2 part are much worse.

I painted all my spaces with simple Krylon spray can paint starting in 1983, and have had no problem with peeling. Proper surface preparation is the critical thing for such areas, as they put low demand on the paint itself.

Clean all unpainted fiberglass with a wax removing agent. If you have plenty of air circulation, you might use Interlux 202. Acetone is lots cheaper, and will work, but it is much more explosive and evaporates so fast, it is difficult to get it wiped off before it dries, leaving the contamination right where it started. One process I've used a lot is to first wipe down with paint thinner, until a white rag comes away white. The paint thinner leaves its own film. then remove this film with a quick wipe down with 202.

Soap and water can do it too, but is much more difficult, though safer. Fantastic will cut the wax, but must be thoroughly rinsed off.

If the area has been previously painted, remove all visible dirt, and wipe with 202. After cleaning, a light sanding with 100 grit, and another quick wipe down with 202. Be aware that 202 is not good to breathe either, and is flammable so good ventilation is a must.
Old 04-27-2007

pluscard is on a distinguished road
Mentioned in a previous thread was "kilz" -which is supposed to be a stain covering primer, but after 4 years, the poster said it still looked great. It looked so good he never top coated it. Home Depot carries it.
Old 04-27-2007

rgroleau is on a distinguished road
I was about to paint my bilge and under-settees areas too, and I was thinking of using Interlux's Bilgekote. Has anyone used this product? Results?
Old 04-28-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Cheapest way is alkyd enamel, ie..oil base house trim paint. With good prep it does well, is safely applied, and won't break your bank.
Old 04-28-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21
Cheapest way is alkyd enamel, ie..oil base house trim paint. With good prep it does well, is safely applied, and won't break your bank.
With bad prep almost nothing will ever stick to the surface properly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.