SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Best way to connect lavac head? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/31827-best-way-connect-lavac-head.html)

Northeaster 04-26-2007 11:38 AM

Best way to connect lavac head?

I didn't want to stae the other thread. Assuming I have decided on a lavac manual head, I would like input into the best / simplist way to hook it up, to allow: 1. direct pumpout to seacock (via y-valve) 2. pumping into the holding tank 3. dockside pumpout 4. manual pumpout of holding tank to seacock. I don't require the bilge pumpout, as I have another maual bidge pump.
The lavac site lists options 3 and 4, but it seems like something is missing in option 4 (another y-valve to select direct discharge to seacock or into holding tank, and the fact that the stop valve seems like it would prevent dockside pumpout, to me anyway)

The lavac site is:

Installation Notes

sailingdog 04-26-2007 07:45 PM

Northeaster-

Use the setup from this article instead.

Here is the diagram... just move the bilge connection to a T-fitting on the pumpout hose.

http://www.sailnet.com/images/conten...JB_diagram.jpg

Northeaster 04-26-2007 08:55 PM

SD - Thanks for the input. I would like to have the option of pumping out the holding tank manually at sea, but realistically, that is not something I would need very often. And to achieve this manual pumpout, the lavac options seemed to complicate things alot, including dockside pumpout pulling all waste through the Lavac pump. I think I will stick with the simpler approach shown on your diagram.

I think I mentioned to you before, but I decided to have my boat shipped home, instead of sailing it. I used Northeast Boat Hauling, form Maine, and was very happy with their service and price. The baot arrived on Saturday, and I have some minor, mostly cosmetic, work to do, before launching, in about a month,

sailingdog 04-26-2007 09:57 PM

Glad to hear the transport went well.

If you move the bilge pickup (center bottom) to a T-fitting that is installed in the pumpout fitting line (on the right), you will be able to pump out at sea, by flipping the two Y-valves... and opening the throughhull on the very left.

Valiente 04-27-2007 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog
Glad to hear the transport went well.

If you move the bilge pickup (center bottom) to a T-fitting that is installed in the pumpout fitting line (on the right), you will be able to pump out at sea, by flipping the two Y-valves... and opening the throughhull on the very left.

Where's the water intake in this set-up? I'm plumbed into a standpipe, but otherwise what you are describing is my set up.

A second thought would be to have a manual bilge pump like a Patay connected with two pickups, one to the bilge and the other to the holding tank, with an exit to the thruhull.

sailingdog 04-27-2007 01:18 PM

I believe the water intake was left off the drawing to simplify it... and not confuse the novice boat plumbers...

This setup with the modifications I've indicated is designed to allow flushing into the holding tank or directly overboard, as well as pumping out the tank via the pump used to flush the Lavac head, or via a deck pumpout fitting. It is also designed to only require one pumpout fitting or connection on the holding tank.

Northeaster 04-27-2007 03:32 PM

Yes, I realize there needs to be a water intake - I am good with its placement.

SD - I will probably put the extra t fitting in, to allow pumpout, when needed. This setup seems much simpler to me, than both of the lavac options (from their web page), as this does not bring waste back through the pump, when using a dockside pump. Also, the flow seems esaier to follow, than in their drawings.

Thanks again!

sailingdog 04-27-2007 03:34 PM

Glad to help... :D Yes, having to make two separate pumpout connections to the tank or pumping out through the manual pump both struck me as less than ideal.

Freesail99 04-27-2007 03:44 PM

Early last year, Good Old Boat had a story and a very good diagram on head plumbing. Maybe the Jan. 06 issue. Also the Lavac head is on sale here.

Northeaster 04-27-2007 04:30 PM

I know it is not the ideal material, but the current holding tank is metal (steel or aluminum, I didn't look to closely), but it seems fairly new, with strong welds, etc, on the outside anyway. I noticed that it only has one air vent, and I have read about experts advocating 2 vents. I assume that I could buy another vent fitting, drill a 2nd vent hole (filling with water ./ talking top hose off, to avoid an explosion!!)
Do you think that adding a 2nd vent would be worth the trouble?