Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-26-2007

l0keman is on a distinguished road
Question about my rigging

I am new to sailing, and have been reading "The Handbook of sailing" by Bob Bond. It has proven to be very useful, but of course it's not for my boat specifically. I have the directions for my boat, and they are crap.
Chrysler 22 Owner's Manual
I have been pouring ver pictures of my model other owners have submitted:
Chrysler Photos
I still can not find my answer.

the issue is... My main halyard and the jib halyard are stainless steel cables with rope backing and the backing for the two halyads are the SAME rope. So I guess the series of the rope is Jib halyard--->rope--->main halyard.. all in one continuous line. It is really hard to work with as when I pull both halyards down at the same time, the rope is WAY too high to reach and pull back down. Also, it's hard to cleat them down like this. Moreover, I have no leverage on them other than body weight. The pictures I see online, appear to be seperate lines going through pullies and such. Not sure and want to know before I cut the rope and replace with two ropes. When I bought the boat it was stripped of all hardware and it was all in a giant box with a ton of other junk.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
So, what you're saying is that the mainsail halyard is a wire-to-rope halyard. The rope part of the mainsail halyard then continues and becomes the rope portion of the jib halyard, which is also a wire-to-rope halyard.

Is this a correct description of what you have going on? I believe this is probably something one of the previous owners did...and really whacked. Are you sure that you put the right pieces in the right places. Generally, halyards are separate...this sounds like a really bizarre setup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-26-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
This does not sound logical at all - are you sure that these are your halyards ? I just looked at the owner's manual, and this is not the original design of the rigging. Could it be the split section of your backstay ???

I'd suggest starting from Step One and putting everything, except this one line, where it should be. If it is indeed some strange amalgamation of halyards, I'd replace it. It's not safe.
Old 04-26-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
How can they be the same rope,? Doesn't make any sence at all.
Remove them and start over.
Old 04-26-2007

txmatt is on a distinguished road
You say all the hardware was stripped and in a box when you bought the boat?

The only thing I can guess is that the previous owner bought a length of rope long enough for both halyards, took it to a rigger and had wire spliced into it on both ends and then had the intention to cut it apart later before installing but never got around to installing it. Why the PO wouldn't have the rigger cut it and whip the ends is beyond me, but maybe he was a real cheapskate. Or maybe he wasn't sure of the lengths (why not measure the old ones?) and wanted to get it on the mast to measure it first. Do the halyard(s) look new? did you install them? If this isn't the case I have no idea.

Edit: I see that you said they weren't long enough. I guess my cool explaination is not plausible then.

Last edited by txmatt; 04-26-2007 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-26-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
lokeman, haven't you ever heard the line in the bomb movies?
"Cut the BLUE wire!"

Don't you dare cut that halyard if it isn't blue.
Old 04-27-2007

KK thanks guys. It is definateley a blue rope, well white with blue dots on it. The mast was mostly rigged when I bought it from the guy. It's seeming like the guy I bought it from raped me on this deal. He knew I was buying a new hobby and took advantage. Anyways, the mast was just about completely rigged, but all the standing rigging had to be replaced. I never touched the halyards. I don't belive the rope is spliced onto them either. It just looks like a knot and some electrical tape for each. So now we have established the fact that it is not right... what is?

The rope backing should come down the mast and into a pully at the mast base? Are they located forwars and aft of the mast, or starbord and port? where do they go after that?
Old 04-27-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Generally from there they go back to the cockpit or somewhere close to the cockpit on the cabin top. There should be a winch there to help when raising the sails. Than, after the sails are raised, the halyards are cleated until its time to lower the sails.
Old 04-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Lokeman-

Post some photos of what you've got... the mast base and such... that would really make it alot easier to discuss... you've got some serious weirdness in your setup...and I think the guy rooked you... but... if you post photos, maybe we can get this straightened out properly.

BTW, the wire-to-rope join should be a splice, not a knot and electrical tape.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-27-2007

Okay, I will get some photos today. I have a mandatory fun at the marina today. So, I am going to try to take my boat out some. I will take photos and try to post them b4 I leave town this evening.