Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-27-2007
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
Battery tender

Anyone have any suggestions for a battery tender/charger for 2 group 24 12v, wet cell batteries? I'm looking for something small and inexpensive to keep them topped off while at the dock and connected to shore power.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2007
Space cadet

Can I use something as simple as this:
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|328|51495|985|316472&id=186048

It mentions, though, a max output of 250 amp hours, which is pretty low. Also, I wonder if this would be enough for two batteries that are wired parallel.

Maybe this would be better:
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|328|51495|985|316472&id=724506
Old 04-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd go with the second one...the promite.. rather than the first and properly hard wire it in... the clips on the first and the design of it speak volumes about it being a very short-term and really not designed for marine use type item.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-27-2007
Space cadet

I think my biggest concern is can these maintainers be used on batteries that are wired in parallel? Most only mention single battery applications or say nothing at all.
Old 04-27-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't go with either of those. The minimum charger size usually recommended is 10% of the total Ah of all batteries on board. You likely have about 150 Ah in those batteries so the minimum charger size would be 15 A. If you go smaller on the charger it will mean that it will take longer to recharge the batteries after use and the batteries may never reach full charge. This causes sulfation and shortens battery life. The one you get should have a float charge function to ensure that your batteries are not damaged from over charging regardless of how long they are left on the charger. There are many posts in here regarding good chargers if you search for them. A recent post here: Sizing a Battery Charger for Windlass Battery is an example.

Having the batteries in parallel is not a problem as long as they were bought at the same time and maintained. If one battery is weaker, it will always pull the other one down.

Also the batteries and shore power should be wired into a disconnect switch with fuses / breakers on every circuit, use tinned wire, don't put the charger in the battery compartment and all that jazz.

Search and ye will find.

Last edited by CapnHand; 04-27-2007 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-27-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Xantrex Truecharge 20+ is a unit I would highly recommend, due to it's smart, three-stage microprocessor. I installed the Truecharge 40+ model three years ago for my three 4D banks and have never even had to think about it since.
Old 04-27-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
folks, this is EXACTLY what I was talking about in one of my pet peeves... look at his application and his stated needs.

he has 2 group 24 wet cells
he states...
"I'm looking for something small and inexpensive to keep them topped off while at the dock and connected to shore power"

he does NOT need a 250.00 battery charger for batteries that cost 39.99 EACH.
go to walmart, buy a 2 amp trickle charger for 25.00. clip it on, plug it in, all will be just fine.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 04-27-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Paul,
Does he have to take the aligator clips off and unplug the charger before he goes sailing? (I hope your laughing right now)
Old 04-27-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
just from his nippies... unless he's into that kinda thing

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 04-27-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Don't get your BP up paul . . . . I suggested a multi-level unit he would never have to worry about. A trickle charger will cook his cells if unattended.