SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Tuning Vertical Dipoles the Easy Way (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/31880-tuning-vertical-dipoles-easy-way.html)

btrayfors 04-28-2007 09:03 PM

Tuning Vertical Dipoles the Easy Way

Some readers may be interested in a post I just did on another board pertaining to the tuning of vertical dipole antennas.

It can be seen here: SSCA Discussion Board :: View topic - More on the Tuning of a Vertical Dipole

Bill

soul searcher 04-28-2007 11:25 PM

Thanks Bill,
Hows the licence battle going?
I saw your post on the ssca board and went to your site.
when I did the math for a antenna for 6516 I got something like eighty feet.
this was a couple months ago so forgive my memory. did I figure it wrong or are they only practical for the higher freqs. I can only pull up a fifty footer.

btrayfors 04-28-2007 11:32 PM

Hi, Matt...

Yes, they're only practical for the higher bands...at least if rigged as a vertical dipole. I can JUST fit an 8mHz dipole for the marine band on my boat.

I'm gonna try one for 40m, though, with the lower leg bent back above the deck aways. That might work OK...we'll see.

The license battle, er..., ordeal continues. I've passed the exams for OUPV and Master, and am still working on the remaining parts: First Aid/CPR, physical, hearing, eyesight, references, detailed sea time, etc., etc.

Decided to take the Marine Radio Operator's License exam...studied for it a bit...it's really easy. It was supposed to be administered twice in the past week, but the exams didn't arrive on time, so they're rescheduling. Jeez!

Then, as time permits, I'll go for the General Radio Operator's License which will allow me to operate any radio on any vessel, and to install and maintain them. Think I'll find a nice course somewhere near a sunny beach :-))

Best,

Bill

soul searcher 04-28-2007 11:53 PM

Sounds like you have a full plate.
Hang in there. the the cg seems bound and determined to buery you with paper work. If you think it's bad getting your self licensed you should try getting a boat licensed I spent that last six months beating my head against that wall but finnally accomplished it. If I ever have to do it again I'm getting out of this all together and going to work at McDonalds:D
would you like fries with that;)
please let me know how the antenna test works out.

hellosailor 04-29-2007 05:13 PM

Matt-
"If I ever have to do it again I'm getting out of this all together and going to work at McDonalds "
You may have something there. Install a couple of deep fryers aboard the boat, make a deal with the local McD's manager, and sell real McD's french fries to the local racers while they are waiting for the afternoon races to start.<G>

soul searcher 04-29-2007 06:55 PM

Oh My god! I could just see the inspectors face when he saw that hot grease on a boat.:confused: :eek: :mad: He would flunk me back to pre k . If I had a bbq pit he would give me a gold star. (I know his weakness:D)
I think I'll leave that to Ronald.