Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-29-2007

snw is on a distinguished road
Head - electric conversion or new electric head

I am taking delivery of a new boat very soon and want to fit an electric head.
I know the boat comes with a standard Jabsco head and I would like advice as to which way is the best to go:
1) Jabsco Quiet Flush conversion Kit 37255-0092 OR
2) Jabsco Quiet Flush complete unit 37245-0092

The price seems very close within $50.
Obviously with this being a new boat I want to go for the least invasive option.

Any advice?
Stephen
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you go with the complete unit, you can use the other parts for spares. Just curious as to why you want an electric head? From what I've seen, most electric heads are higher maintenance than the manual heads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-29-2007

SailingDog
On our previous boat my better half allways complianed about the manual head - she had to get me to help her flush it. Although after 3 years it did not have any odour as I was very dilligent!
Part of the deal for a new boat was the electric head.
Old 04-29-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Why not get a Lavac head instead. Even the manual flush version is simpler to use than a traditional manual head. It is also far more reliable. If you're going to replacing the head anyways, I would go for the one that is going to be the least maintenance in the long run. Granted, installing a Lavac is a bit more invasive an operation, but IMHO, it would be worth doing.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-29-2007

Thanks for the tip. I will look into the Lavac. I don't know if they are available here in Australia. I have only had experience with the Jabsco thus far and as I have inferred it sometimes takes some encoragement to prime.
As this is a new boat I am concerned with the invasiveness of the procedure as the local dealer will do the install.
The builder would not fit any one other than the standard Jabsco with the order.
Old 04-29-2007
Telstar 28

From another marine head thread today:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue
Eventually ntheyer, all seasoned boaters dream of owning a Lavac. This epiphany typically occurs just after the Jabsco piston pump clogs, valve sticks or seals leak, miles from shore when sailing to your long awaited vacation destination.

Telstar 28
New England