Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-30-2007
Banned

clayjay is an unknown quantity at this point
Re-Paint

I've just bought a C&C 36 which could do with a complete re-paint.....hull and deck.
Can anyone give me an idea as to the cost of having this done ?
I would be doing a lot of the prep work myself - like removing or masking all deck items etc
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Clay...a typical full awlgrip job for a 36 ft boat will run in the neighborhood of 10 grand. Prep work is 95% of the process and most yards will not allow owners to do it cause they then have no control over the final results. Compounding and waxing properly can often restore things nicely without the expense of a paint job. Do a search on compounding here and you'll find some good advice.
Old 04-30-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
I just finished a deck on a 38 yr old Islander 26'er, every weekend for six month was spent prepping the deck, I used the one part brightside from Interlux with the associated pre paint materials and non slip, it looks very very good, cost me just under $2000.00

Cam does not exaggerates when he says prep is 95% of the job, but I will add this, when using a lesser paint ( one part as opposed to two part ) prep is even more critical, as good as mine came out, I still found flaws that need to be addressed, and that's only because I dropped the ball
Old 04-30-2007

Hawkwind is on a distinguished road
It sounds like you plan to pay a pro, which is probably best. I painted the topsides several times on my 22ft Venture with some variation in quality. Here's a few things I learned.

Once you paint fiberglass, you will have to keep painting it every few years to keep it nice. Maybe less often for a pro job but I'm pretty sure it will still need some care to keep it nice.

Dark colors are harder to make pretty than light colors.

Spray paint makes a mess. It's virtually impossible to spray without overspray going everywhere. If you spray, you will need to build a tent around the boat. I always wanted to spray but I never had a good place to do the work.

Brushing on the paint by hand works better than I would have thought. Marine topsides paint tends to smooth out and if you're careful and feather the brush strokes, there will be very few brush marks visible. I never found a roller that didn't leave a nasty orange peel. By 'feather' I mean to move your wrist like the Karate Kid did in that old 80s movie. I'm not sure if that's the correct term but you get the idea pretty quick when ya start painting. It takes time to do it nice. If you hurry, there will be a lot of brush strokes visible.

I never painted the whole deck. I would guess that the anti-skid surface would present a few challenges.

Here's a picture of the boat from when I sold it a few years back. Once posted on the internet, all pictures are forever, I guess. The paint is brushed on, one part Petit Epoxy. The color is Bikini Blue.
Photo Album
Those grand fresh-water seas of ours - Erie, and Ontario, and Huron, and Superior, and Michigan, - possess an ocean-like expansiveness...They contain round archipelagoes of romantic isles...they have heard the fleet thunderings of naval victories...they know what shipwrecks are, for out of sight of land, however inland, they have drowned full many a midnight ship with all its shrieking crew. --from Moby Dick

Last edited by Hawkwind; 05-01-2007 at 06:26 PM.