Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-30-2007

geary126 is on a distinguished road
Dremel--Show Me the Love!

So I think I need a Dremel. Could use suggestions re: corded or cordless, and which accessories one typically uses on a boat.

I'm guessing this is going to be a popular thread!

BTW, tool sale at Amazon, thru early May.

Tom
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2007

soul searcher is on a distinguished road
Which ever one you get buy the flex extension for it and lots of cut off wheels, sanding drums, and a good selection of carbide burrs. Everybody should own a dremel

All boats are sinking it's just a matter of how fast.
Old 04-30-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Corded ones are generally more powerful, but the cordless ones are definitely more useful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-30-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Anyone know which ones are the latest models ? I see dremel 8000, Dremel 750, Dremel 275, Dremel 220 ..... you get the idea.
Old 04-30-2007
Swabbie

Neises is on a distinguished road
Santa brought me a Sears Craftsman knock-off about 15 years ago (not cordless), still going strong. You might look at those & save a few bucks, if they're still being made.

The small wire brush wheel worked well for cleaning out some minor balsa core funk. Haven't used it on the boat much though.

A tile cutter bit is probably the all-star of my dremel case. Saved my butt a couple times on some flooring jobs in kitchen & bathroom.
Old 04-30-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I was MOST unhappy with the cordless model...traded it back in for the corded. More power ...no short battery life. I agree on the flex extension...very handy.
Old 04-30-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
I was MOST unhappy with the cordless model...traded it back in for the corded. More power ...no short battery life. I agree on the flex extension...very handy.
Ahhh yes yes yes....very unhappy with the cordless model.....

For those that need to retrofit their "dremmels"....here is a mechanical book

Last edited by Giulietta; 04-30-2007 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-30-2007

I33 is on a distinguished road
Sick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta
Ahhh yes yes yes....very unhappy with the cordless model.....

For those that need to retrofit their "dremmels"....here is a mechanical book
Very sick Giu, very sick! I think I like it!
Old 04-30-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Dremels are helpful, but you can really burn through the cutoff wheels.

I think this is related, but here is a generality I have learned in cruising and living aboard:

It would seem to make sense to only buy battery operated items. THat is what I did last time. However, that was a mistake because you really do not have the space to plug in the big batts. If you have multiple battery operated items (drill, dremel, etc), they will take the place of more essental items (like a handheld vhf or spot light... which are better if they are not the battery type, incidentally). So what happens is that you never have a tool when you need it.

But everything that needs 110. No 12v or battery operated. You can either run a generator or inverter to run them. With a couple of extension cords, you will be happier. The only exception might be going up the mast unless you have enough extension cords to reach there... which is worth considering when you plan you stock-up.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-30-2007

Artwerke is on a distinguished road
My son bought me a B&D knockoff several years ago, definitely a must have tool, during my latest refit I used up several small cuttoff wheels, and sanding drums, I get them in bags of 25 now. You'll use it too much to go with cordless, they'll wimp out on you halfway thru a hole enlargement. Art.